• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rampage vs. Best softtop

Redtractor

Loc.
Maybee (SE-MI)
Looking for a softtop, need some advice.. 77 Bronco, factory doors and factor wipers. Will have a 6 point cage in it soon and looking for a soft top. Looking at these mainly because the cost and availability at the Bronco Grave Yard, and the fact that I can pick up anytime (work about 30 mon from the place. Rampage is about $300 cheaper....is the Besttop worth the extra $$?? Would like to take the top off and have only a bikini top on the bars (front to mid bar)

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
No experience with a Bronco, my last Bronco soft top was a kayline and they've been gone for decades. But, with jeeps, both make tops and bestop hands down has the best quality, fit and customer service.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Bought my Rampage top from Graveyard and love it,not only was it less expensive than the Bestop,but I've been told by others that it is nicer than the Bestop.I can't say cuz this is my only experience with the top,but it seems like a heavy quality material,and let me say it was a bitch to install lol. I never thought in my wildest dreams that a freakin soft top would be so difficult,it must be due to my cage,stretching that mother was almost impossible,so my advise is put that sucker on when its a good ol hot summer day and lay it out in the sun for a few hours,should help a lot. :cool:

67crush

My bestop has been on since 2001, no problems at all, did convert to the two piece doors about five years ago, again excellent quality, very happy.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Bought my Rampage top from Graveyard and love it,not only was it less expensive than the Bestop,but I've been told by others that it is nicer than the Bestop.I can't say cuz this is my only experience with the top,but it seems like a heavy quality material,and let me say it was a bitch to install lol. I never thought in my wildest dreams that a freakin soft top would be so difficult,it must be due to my cage,stretching that mother was almost impossible,so my advise is put that sucker on when its a good ol hot summer day and lay it out in the sun for a few hours,should help a lot. :cool:

LOL I have done two of them, the last one I did was in the heat and still never got one of the back snaps snapped in. They are really good tops for the price. myself if I damage it on the trail it's not that big of a deal. the first one lasted 10 years with abuse%)

Nothing Special

I don't have any experience with the Rampage, but I really like the Bestop I've had for about 10 years. Goes up and down pretty easily warm or cool (I do try to avoid doing it when the temp is below about 40 F). Still looks good too. Even the windows are still quite clear.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I don't have any experience with the Rampage, but I really like the Bestop I've had for about 10 years. Goes up and down pretty easily warm or cool (I do try to avoid doing it when the temp is below about 40 F). Still looks good too. Even the windows are still quite clear.
that one thing I don't like about my rampage. they don't sell any with clear windows, well that I could find anyway

RADO

Loc.
Phoenix
I just swapped out a Bestop for a Rampage. IMO, they both have trade-offs in the design.

The Bestop has a much taller center bow and BARELY fit in my garage.
The Rampage has a lower bow and looks more streamlined.

The Rampage has a track at the windshield to allow the top to be removed and folded back.
The Bestop needs the top removed completely from the bow to remove the sliding bead style windshield mount

The door frames are different and I get a better seal from the Rampage

The side window zippers are nicer on the Bestop because there are two separate zippers up and down.
Rampage uses one zipper that turns to go from the top down on the window and can be difficult to zip.

The Bestop allows you to open the tailgate without unlatching the soft top.

The Rampage offers different types of canvas material.

I think the top may hold-up better on the Bestop, stitching & zippers seem a little bit more robust.

Personally, I'm happy with the switch to Rampage. I really couldn't get a good door seal with the Bestop. Also, being able to easily remove the Rampage top from the windshield track is a huge benefit if you think you'll run topless. And then there's the price difference...

Nothing Special

....The Bestop has a much taller center bow and BARELY fit in my garage.
The Rampage has a lower bow and looks more streamlined....

Good point. The Bestop doesn't fit in my garage. Mostly for that reason I park my Bronco outside in the summer. In the winter I drop the center bow against the 'cage so I can pull it in the garage.

....The Rampage has a track at the windshield to allow the top to be removed and folded back.
The Bestop needs the top removed completely from the bow to remove the sliding bead style windshield mount....

My Bestop also has the sliding bead, but I've never needed to remove the top from the bow. Just flopping the rear bow forward gives plenty of "slack" to slide the bead out. Then flop the bows back and roll it up.

I had the track style on a Bestop on a CJ5. Personally I find the sliding bead to be quite a bit easier to engage and disengage.

HB73

I had a Bestop on mine, the high bow kept water pooled above the cab when it rained. I had to use a short pole to push the top up and water off or passengers would get soaked getting in.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

RADO

Loc.
Phoenix
My Bestop also has the sliding bead, but I've never needed to remove the top from the bow. Just flopping the rear bow forward gives plenty of "slack" to slide the bead out. Then flop the bows back and roll it up.

Good call, I never actually tried keeping the top attached to the bow.

TarheelEB

No experience with Bestop, but I loved my Rampage top. Great fit and enjoyed the ease of taking out the windows and rolling up the rear window and going safari style. It did make the height about 3 inches taller due to the center bow; barely got it in the garage after the top was installed.