• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RAN swap to RAT for lower first gear

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has anyone swapped from the RAN 3spd 2.99 first gear to a RAT 3spd 3.41 first gear? Is there a big improvement in a underpowered 6 cyl?

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I do not have the drive train, I am just wondering if anyone has switched a 2.99 to a 3.41 first gear and if the reduction was a big improvement when dealing with a 6 cyl.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think RAT trannys only came behind V8's in broncos. RAN and HEFs came behind either engine but my interchange manual could be wrong but bottom line is that case ID wont nessarily tell you the gear ratio it has. Basically you need the short output shaft version for 6cyl application it will have the lower gear in it. Not sure on the exact lenghts of the ooutput shafts but the 6 cyl version should be close to 6in while the V8 version is closer to 9in.
And yes you want the lower geared version for a 6cyl they need the extra gear as they dont have as much torque on take off thats also why 6cyl vehicles tend to come with lower axle gearing as well.
The stock 3 sp gearing leaves a lot to be desired so I'd definitely want the lowest gearing I could get.