• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rancho 9000 warranty

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I bought a set of four of these in the '90s from Wild Horses. Of course I probably don't have the original receipt, but they've been continuously installed in the same EB since I bought them.
Is there any chance that I can warranty them based on the fact that all of the knobs have broken over time?

Thx,
JB
427fd78ac9f638abdf288dfcbc895826.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Damn! I installed 9000s in 1998 and they are still on and I didn't break a knob yet. That being said, I spit the poly bushings out like chewing gum and I am way over it. I have been waiting on a set of Duffs Eibachs for months on months....CA and their Covid excuses... (not Duff's, they are TN)

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Hahahaha...I just realized I got trolled, because I reread that you installed the shocks 30 years ago and think they shouldn't wear out and break ;D
Well played, I should have read your post better. You got me. ;D They even have cobwebs on them.

DC_Gearhead

Hahahaha...I just realized I got trolled, because I reread that you installed the shocks 30 years ago and think they shouldn't wear out and break ;D
Well played, I should have read your post better. You got me. ;D They even have cobwebs on them.

I think he may be serious....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I think he may be serious....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, lifetime warranty is supposed to be for as long as they are installed....

Of course I plan on replacing them, but it behooves me to ask.

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, as far as I know if you purchased them yourself way back when they had lifetime warranties, the warranty should still be still in force.
However, since the knobs are available separately I believe, it may not constitute a warranteeable offense to replace the entire shock. They can just send out new knob assemblies and you can attach them yourself.
Even the bushings used to be covered, but I believe that they nixed that years ago for those that still had lifetime warranties. The bushings and boots are "wear items" instead.
Of course, shocks are wear items too! Anything "lifetime" was a gamble for the manufacturer, hoping you would not keep the vehicle that long. A friend of mine still has his lifetime JC Penny battery warrantied every few years in his '73 C5 Blazer.
I forget who does the coverage (Goodyear maybe?) but they give him a new battery every few years. No longer the 1,000CCA unit that JC Penny marketed, but hey, even a wimpy three-year battery for free ain't half bad.

I'm not sure how the new/current shock warranties are played, but they have certainly made changes over the years.
Might call Rancho customer service to see if anyone there is old enough to remember how it works!

Paul

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
HAHAHA... Paul, I'm so glad I read your post about the guy with the Penny's lifetime warranty battery! Oh my, I traded so many of those in! lol

I would cook 'em both with my WARN 8274! He's sure got me beat. I gave up on the 8274 when I cooked the 3rd motor (I used it a lot, like... a lot!) :) Anyway, I went to a PTO. Snapped a few 3/8" cables too. But JC Penny's lost money on me and definitely your buddy! lol

Thanks for sharing that memory!

:)

Last edited: