• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Random question...let's try to not make it a Trump/Biden debate.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
That is very interesting, as for your question I have no clue. Maybe to take strain off the motor, but looks like to be if your wheeling you have a very good chance of pulling the wires out. I truly don't know!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think it is interesting! Maybe a car where you dont have room under the hood?

Ac cobra kit car with battery in the rear?

I wonder what the drive shaft rpm challenges might be

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
That's wild, my guess would be lack of space or a believe that there will be less parasitic accessory draw on the motor... but its still being spun by the driveshaft so maybe not.
I've seen fluid cooler pumps driven off the drive shaft but never an alternator.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
It was done a lot for street rods etc so engine bay was cleaner, more room to clear the hood sides, motor mount etc when squeezing big v8’s in to small spaces like 32 fords etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing Special

It's called "Pro series kits for circle track", so there might be different needs there. But room to package it seems like the most likely scenario to me.

My other thought is that a friend of mine has a mud truck with something like 1000 hp (normally aspirated). He spins that sucker FAST to get that kind of power, and he's had trouble with belts flying off. So he has no belts on his engine. His water pump and power steering pump have their own electric motors. And he has no alternator, he just recharges the battery between runs. So maybe it's something like that?

As to driveshaft speed, if the trans/transfer case gearing is 1:1 the driveshaft is turning the same speed as the engine. In overdrive it's turning faster than the engine, in all other gears it's turning slower. I don't know how this affects whether you'd want it or not...

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
You could make it so it engages only a specific times (i.e. - brakes are engaged) as a way to recapture energy.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In circle track, you want weight on the rear for forward bite. And belts on the engine can be knocked off by stuff flying around under the nose. I guess it could be argued that it'd be harder to get knocked off by debris mounting like this. As for RPM, these things are tiny and don't make a lot of amps. I have a 35 amp version on my Cub Loboy Tractor and its a one wire alternator. Spin it fast or spin it slow, you get good voltage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50K29CzLU1c

On related note, I've thought a little about mounting an oil pump there for positive oiling while running an upside down third member... #homemadehi9 ;)

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
In circle track, you want weight on the rear for forward bite. And belts on the engine can be knocked off by stuff flying around under the nose. I guess it could be argued that it'd be harder to get knocked off by debris mounting like this. As for RPM, these things are tiny and don't make a lot of amps. I have a 35 amp version on my Cub Loboy Tractor and its a one wire alternator. Spin it fast or spin it slow, you get good voltage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50K29CzLU1c

On related note, I've thought a little about mounting an oil pump there for positive oiling while running an upside down third member... #homemadehi9 ;)

Why would you run it upside down?

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why would you run it upside down?

It gives (a little bit) more ground clearance for the pinion. Search for “high 9” or more specifically “true hi9”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I left out the fact that several classes of cars will have rules which prevent the use of "high" (1:1) gear. So the engine will be turning more RPM than the drive shaft.

Spaggyroe

I'd like to see a #homemadehi9 build. I'm curious to see how one would avoid inadvertently turning all of your forward gears into reverse gears.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I'd like to see a #homemadehi9 build. I'm curious to see how one would avoid inadvertently turning all of your forward gears into reverse gears.

You do that by not flipping the 3rd member upside down to make a high pinion. The relationships all remain the same in Hi9, except the pinion is on top and so it requires a new/custom 3rd member casting. The Hi9 has custom gears as well to help on the strength side of things, based on the way the pinion is situated. I think he did it this way so that it would work with all of the off the shelf differentials.