• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

random question of the day

ljspop

Loc.
San Marcos, Ca
Why is my license plate frame on a hinge? Just curious what the logic behind that part is. I can't think of any other Ford products of this era that share this part - but then again I'm no expert.

Apologies to the old timers if this has been covered a zillion times. I did try a search.

Thanks.

jray

It helps installing the tag and also changing the bulb and other parts relating to the license plate lamp.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I used the hinged license plate on my 74 exactly zero times in the 20 odd years I have owned it, It has almost always had the top on it and I never had the need to drive it with the tailgate down. A couple years ago, I got a 66 Roadster with a half cab on it and I use that flip down plate all the time. The bed is so small that you need to flip down the tailgate to carry anything large in it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford wanted it to be a do-all kind of Utility Vehicle.
Those two holes in your front grille are for a plate too, when you're running around with a snow-plow, winch, or front-mounted auger or other tool, instead of a bumper.
Earlies (up to about '69 or '70?) had the loop and latch so the windshield could stay folded down for use as a work truck, expedition vehicle, hunting rig (when it was legal to shoot from the truck), and probably even with some kind of crane thingy hanging over the front!
The tailgate was expected to be put down for lots of uses, like was said, with such a small bed. Lots of big hydraulic and/or PTO augers, bucket scoops hanging out the back, back in the day.
That's why the early models (don't know if all years had it) even had a bracket on the passenger side rear fender so you could lock the swing-away spare tire carrier all the way open and drive around with the tailgate down.
And with the license plate folded "up" of course!

Paul

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
it flips up durring high speed manuvers to apply added downforce therefore making the vehicle more stable. Other auto makes have since ripped off this Idea like for instance Porsche.

hope that helps

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I always keep it up when I drive my Bronco when robbing banks. Eye witnesses report me as "that jeep with no license plate". Works every time. ;D

(How else did you think I can afford this hobby??)

Deano

Bronco Guru
One of my buddys flipped mine up one sat night and I got pulled over by the cops didn't get a ticket though he just told me to fix it and he thought it was kool when I flipped it down.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
it flips up during high speed maneuvers to apply added downforce therefore making the vehicle more stable. Other auto makes have since ripped off this Idea like for instance Porsche.

It was also the inspiration for the flip-up anti-sail safety devices used by NASCAR when a car spins out at 180 miles an hour.
Works real good too. Most of the time.

After all, we don't want any Broncos getting airborne when spinning out at that seed. Not without due cause anyway.

Paul

msweb

Bronco Guru
It was also the inspiration for the flip-up anti-sail safety devices used by NASCAR when a car spins out at 180 miles an hour.
Works real good too. Most of the time.

After all, we don't want any Broncos getting airborne when spinning out at that seed. Not without due cause anyway.

Paul

Yup, Donk is 100% right and it's very effective as most of can attest. I assume most of us... I know I can honestly say I've never put mine on it's roof at 180 ;D

msweb

Bronco Guru
Or............

It's the early version of a Check Engine light and serves as a pop-up timer for oil changes and other routine maintenance.