• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RAT/RAN Tranny Flush?

VeryTALONted

Loc.
San Angelo
I have a 67 Bronco U15 with a 289.

I have noticed a small leak around the tranny's drain plug. I want to drain all the fluid, inspect the drain plug, fix whatever is causing the leak, 'douche' out the tranny, and replace the fluid with something that will properly lubricate the transmission.

I tried to search around the web for info on doing this, but The RAN/RAT trannies seem to be a ghost that either never breaks or is replaced with something else.

So my questions are:

1) What kind of tranny does my Bronco have?
2) How much fluid does this tranny take?
3) What kind of fluid does it like?
4) What would cause the drain plug to leak?
5) Will Teflon Tape help to seal the drain plug apon re installation?
6) What is a good product to 'douche' or clean the tranny out with?
7) Should I use a friction modifier?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

;D

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1966/69: C3UZ-7061-E .. Output Shaft / RAN = 13 9/16" long / 32-37-28 spline teeth

1966/69: D0TZ-7061-A .. Output Shaft / RAT = 16 9/32" long / 32-37-28 spline teeth

Manual uses 3.5 pints.

No modifier.

OP
OP
VeryTALONted

VeryTALONted

Loc.
San Angelo
1966/69: C3UZ-7061-E .. Output Shaft / RAN = 13 9/16" long / 32-37-28 spline teeth

1966/69: D0TZ-7061-A .. Output Shaft / RAT = 16 9/32" long / 32-37-28 spline teeth

Manual uses 3.5 pints.

No modifier.

So the output shaft is longer/shorter?

Do you have pics of where to measure from and to?

What type of fluid?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gonna have to wait for the super gurus to come forward, can't say which is which offhand.

Fluid can be any good gear oil.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The ran tranny he listed is for a 6cyl engine. All bascially the same tranny as far as fluids are concerned. As for the drain plug yes you can use teflon tape it may help seal it. I would look at the hole its always possible someone overtightend the plug and cracked the housing.

OP
OP
VeryTALONted

VeryTALONted

Loc.
San Angelo
The ran tranny he listed is for a 6cyl engine. All bascially the same tranny as far as fluids are concerned. As for the drain plug yes you can use teflon tape it may help seal it. I would look at the hole its always possible someone overtightend the plug and cracked the housing.

Oh OK.

Anything else?

matts70

Loc.
Northwest Indiana
There will be a metal tag attached to the side of your transmission that identifies whether it's a RAT or a RAN. It's probably covered in a thick layer of grease and dirt, but it's there. Passenger side, near the front, I believe.

Do you plan on pulling the transmission, or leaving it installed on the vehicle? If it's shifting fine and you don't intend to pull it, there's no sense in trying to wash the inside. In fact, you'd probably do more harm than good. The inside of the plug has a magnet on it, BTW. Best way to clean it out would be just like an oil change--drive it, get it hot, then pull the plug. Put a wrap of teflon tape on before you reinstall.

It uses a heavier gear oil, I believe. Somebody else will know what weight. If not, a local parts store probably will know. If not, just go to another one.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Standard gear oil is fine. weights are up to you. I kinda like to run the 75w-140 semi syntethic myself.

OP
OP
VeryTALONted

VeryTALONted

Loc.
San Angelo
The tranny shifts fine, but drips a little bit of fluid. The exhaust pipe is there to catch the dripping and makes I nice odor. That is what I am wanting to stop.

Thanks for all the ideas, I live in West TX and the Bronco is driven only on nice days so it sees temps of 60-110*F, what fluid would be ideal for those enviorments.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
What does your local store have anything between 75-140 weiight is fine.

OP
OP
VeryTALONted

VeryTALONted

Loc.
San Angelo
So to recap:

1) What kind of tranny does my Bronco have? Check for a tag
2) How much fluid does this tranny take? Till it is even with the fill plug
3) What kind of fluid does it like? 75-140
4) What would cause the drain plug to leak? Being too tight
5) Will Teflon Tape help to seal the drain plug apon re installation? Should be OK
6) What is a good product to 'douche' or clean the tranny out with? Change it while Hot
7) Should I use a friction modifier? No

Sound about right???