• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Really starting to doubt my abilities how to remove Dana 20 stock adapter piece

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
Hi again I have removed bolts knocked it pulled it and before I really get into it do I need to remove something else first I onlyy want to change adapters and ready it for the c4.. Thanks I'm clueless

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
we need a little more information from you. Where are you trying to seperate it. from the tranny or the transfer case? is it up in the air or down on the ground. what have you removed and how many bolts did you remove from which location? There is a steel dowel pin that can make it tough to remove especially if some one glued the gaskit on both sides.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
there are 6 bolts between the transfercase and the adapter and inside between the 2 is a steel dowel pin. you cant twist it off it has to go straight back to seperate them. The tranny side has different bolts patterns between the various transmissions people are using.

OP
OP
Jeremy0201

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
Gotcha, it's out adapter straight up in air I am trying to remove it from the t case.. The po used a caulk gun and black rtv as the gasket so it will be next to impossible to pull it straight off.. So just to clarify once the bolts are removed it needs to jus be pulled straight off??

rekoj71

It can be really stuck. Beating on it with a deadblow hammer is what usually works for me. I've even had to pry on it some with a screwdriver and thankfully a little scratching of the metal on the face won't hurt it enough to keep it from being able to be sealed up later, but try not to damage the part of the adapter that slips inside of the transmission or transfer case as there could be an o-ring on the new adapter. Just remove any burs that you might put into it after you get the pieces apart.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
As the guys above said, its that easy. The hard part is going to be swapping the input gear to the C4 spud. The snap ring is a PIA. And make sure you don't put the gear on backwards. Drive lugs face the rear.

OP
OP
Jeremy0201

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
When your putting the input gear to the c4 spud is there a clip needed to lock it in place???? Thanks again... Hoping to finish this soon!

OP
OP
Jeremy0201

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
Wtf. :mad: so we have the c4 mounted with the housing and we are trying to get to Dana to mount using a floor jack and muscle and it's like the damn thing doesn't have enough room to get in the right mounting position we just spent 3 hrs and again just gave
Up do we need to release the crossmember and use two jacks???

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Wtf. :mad: so we have the c4 mounted with the housing and we are trying to get to Dana to mount using a floor jack and muscle and it's like the damn thing doesn't have enough room to get in the right mounting position we just spent 3 hrs and again just gave
Up do we need to release the crossmember and use two jacks???

I prefer to lift them by hand but it's easier if the crossmember is out. It's almost impossible to get the 6 bolts in with the crossmember in the way. 2 people can lift and guide the tcase in place quickly and easily. Have the bolts ready to go in with sealer on them. Support the bottom of the trans with a jack or something.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
dude i do not want to arm wrestle you if you dead lift a D20.

A Dana 20 weighs less than 100 pounds. Ever install an NP435? It's 100 times easier to put the tranny in by itself and then install the adapter with the Dana 20 bolted to it. I think the 20 and the adapter together weigh less than the 435.