• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Axel Spline Count?

Gordys74

Loc.
Southern Iowa
I'm wanting to change the gearing in my diffs and have been looking for rebuilt 3rd member for the rear. I need to know what the spline count is on the rear axels. I have a stock 74, big bearing, 302, auto. Does anyone know what they had for axels? Spline count wise? Thanks!

chris

No more Rock Crawler
28 Spline was factory stock.

If you plan to keep skinny tires on it and light offroading your ok, if not move up to 31 spline axle shafts.

OP
OP
G

Gordys74

Loc.
Southern Iowa
Its uncut, so I won't be putting any BIG tires on it and I just moderatly offroad it and thats seldom. Just didn't know if there was any difference in BB and Lb rearends. Don't quite understand why they would put bigger bearings on the same size axel, but I'm not an engineer either. ;D I'm wanting to replace the 4:11 gearing with 3:50s for better gas mileage so it is mostly a hiway hog. %)
Thanks!

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Gordys74 said:
Its uncut, so I won't be putting any BIG tires on it and I just moderatly offroad it and thats seldom. Just didn't know if there was any difference in BB and Lb rearends. Don't quite understand why they would put bigger bearings on the same size axel, but I'm not an engineer either. ;D I'm wanting to replace the 4:11 gearing with 3:50s for better gas mileage so it is mostly a hiway hog. %)
Thanks!
They did it for stronger bearings which increases the load capacity. All EB's originally came with 28 spline axles.

cynrays

The only way that you can know for sure is to count the splines by pulling an axle. I thought mine were a 31 until I counted them....