• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear axle leaking again...

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
So working on my bronco tonight and noticed the rear axle wheel bearing seal is leaking again, just replaced it a couple of weeks ago.. everything looked good and I was extra careful putting it back together. This axle uses the 78/79 style bearing/seal...

Any ideas on what i can do to stop it? As far as I know this axle only has 1500 miles on it.. haven't really abused it and only have a couple of wheeling trips on it and maybe have 200 miles on the bearing/seal that i just put in

thoughts?

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I have had some trouble getting the races in the tapered bearings to seal. Make sure the houseing end is clean and burr free. I glue the races in with weather strip adhesive.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
I have had some trouble getting the races in the tapered bearings to seal. Make sure the houseing end is clean and burr free. I glue the races in with weather strip adhesive.

the race is facing the axle housing correct? I was not aware I was supposed to use a bit of RTV there.. so that makes some sense as to why its leaking..

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I would also recommend hylomar. You can use a thin film of it on the surface where the seal rides and also on the interface of the bearing retainer and housing flange. The nice thing about hylomar is that it doesn't set up so future disassembly is easy.

I had a leaky end on a brand new Currie rear end years ago and hylomar solved the problem (and continues to keep it dry to this day).

Todd Z.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I had trouble with leaky rear axle seals for years. Then I found out I had been overfilling it. Cold fill is only first knuckle deep on your little pinkie finger. Hot fill, you can fill it to the top.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
I would also recommend hylomar. You can use a thin film of it on the surface where the seal rides and also on the interface of the bearing retainer and housing flange. The nice thing about hylomar is that it doesn't set up so future disassembly is easy.

I had a leaky end on a brand new Currie rear end years ago and hylomar solved the problem (and continues to keep it dry to this day).

Todd Z.

ok good to know.. this is a currie rear end as well.. i think a little sealant and not filling up the rear to over capacity should solve it. I will look into picking up some Hylomar..

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Don't know if it was mentioned but make sure your vent is working or you will build up pressure and the oil will find its way out the weakest seal.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Don't know if it was mentioned but make sure your vent is working or you will build up pressure and the oil will find its way out the weakest seal.

yup its all good had the rear end out a couple weeks ago and did a once over including the vent as I had a blocked Dana44 on my fullsize and blew out seals in that before...

I haven't messed with these later style rear axle seals/bearings so didn't really know about the sealant trick.. makes sense now that I think about it :)