• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear bearing axle seals, need fast help!!

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Help! Just pulled the axles and will be taking them to the shop tomorrow to get new bearings pressed on.

What is the best method of removing the seals that are still intact in the differential ends?

Before I screw something up, I just wanted to check. Please let me know.

Also, reason I am doing bearing replacement is that I could move the wheels and tires side to side, slightly when it was jacked up. Once the wheels were off, I could actually pull the axles in and out about an 1\8" before loosing the retaining nuts. What do you think this is?

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
I like to use a slide hammer to get the seals to pop right out. A pry bar will also work just fine. Your not going to reuse the seals so it's not a big deal. The housing ends are pretty tough as long as you don't do something ridiculous. If the axles were moving in and out maybe there was a thick gasket in between the retainer and housing. Maybe the wrong bearing was used.

OP
OP
muskrat

muskrat

Bronco Guru
They're out. Thanks for getting back to me. Any suggestions on how to get the new seals in?

Thanks.

Airborne_Sapper

Loc.
Fayetteville
I just finished changing all the bearing and seals in mine the other day. I used a seal puller from autozone was like 11 bucks. Here is a link to it.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...r&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=48199_0_0_

Like you I had the same issue with movement once I pulled the axle I noticed that the PO had put pressed on a different size bearing retaining collar which was smaller than the correct size this explained the movement and the seal leak. Good luck with the project.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
End of the axle shaft works good at removing the old seals.

nrramse

Also, reason I am doing bearing replacement is that I could move the wheels and tires side to side, slightly when it was jacked up. Once the wheels were off, I could actually pull the axles in and out about an 1\8" before loosing the retaining nuts. What do you think this is?

Mine did this too - turned out to be bent bearing retainers. I ordered some new ones from Currier (much stronger than OEM) and had the machine shop put them on at the same time as the bearings.

Newell

nrramse

They're out. Thanks for getting back to me. Any suggestions on how to get the new seals in?

Thanks.

I've had good luck with cleaning the end of the axle tube with a rag sprayed with brake cleaner, then putting a thin layer of gasket sealant in there before tapping the seal in place.

Another thing to beware of is grooves in the axle. If there's a groove worn in there from the old seal, it can be covered with a "redi-sleeve" from NAPA.

Newell