• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Bumper Build - Opinions

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I am building a new rear bumper with tire carrier. Just thought I would show some pics and see what you think. Sorry the pics are not the best.

Attachments

• 76BR41.JPG
    76BR41.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 76BR42.JPG
    76BR42.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 76BR43.JPG
    76BR43.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 76BR44.JPG
    76BR44.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 76BR45.JPG
    76BR45.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 105

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
It looks like crap on your truck, but would look awesome on mine, hehe

Actually it looks really good. :cool:

The only change i might make would be to move the spare tire down a few inches so you can see out the back a little better. Maybee you could put two mounting locations for the spare. One lower when your on the street, and a second set of bolts where it is now for when your wheelin

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I like it. How are you latching the carrier to the bumper?

I am not sure yet. I am still in the design phase of that. I probably will build some type of cam latch or over center latch to draw it back against a stop and down. Any suggestions?

Also where are most people mounting a Hi-Lift jack. I was thinking about attaching it somehow either to the tire carrier or the bumber.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
It looks like crap on your truck, but would look awesome on mine, hehe

Actually it looks really good. :cool:

The only change i might make would be to move the spare tire down a few inches so you can see out the back a little better. Maybee you could put two mounting locations for the spare. One lower when your on the street, and a second set of bolts where it is now for when your wheelin

I was also thinking it was a little high, but it does clear the departure angle. I like the idea of dual bolts. I also kind of designed it so that if I go bigger on tires it would still work.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
That ain't bad work, especially for a Cheese Head... ;D (I'm quite jelous, that's prety similar to what I want to build for the Doodlebug. I may be hitting you up for some pointers when the time comes)

For a latch, look through the McMaster Carr catalog. They've got some really nice ones, and even some adjustable cam locks that will serve you for years to come.

For the Hi-Lift, look at how the old Stealth bumpers attatched it in a vertical position on the swingout. Works OK with the 48" model, looks a little silly with the 60" jack though.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
maybe some more pics where it is not sooo dark. What did you use for the hinge?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
That bumper looks pretty awesome. Actually instead of dropping the tire, I would move it to the PS a few more inches, that may gain you a little better visibility. Really nice job!

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Some better pics with latch.

Attachments

• 76EBRearBump4.JPG
    76EBRearBump4.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 64
  • 76EBRearBump3.JPG
    76EBRearBump3.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 76EBRearBump2.JPG
    76EBRearBump2.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 76EBRearBump1.JPG
    76EBRearBump1.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 68
  • 76EBRearBump5.JPG
    76EBRearBump5.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 85

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
I am not sure yet. I am still in the design phase of that. I probably will build some type of cam latch or over center latch to draw it back against a stop and down. Any suggestions?

Also where are most people mounting a Hi-Lift jack. I was thinking about attaching it somehow either to the tire carrier or the bumber.

Protofab will sell a cam latch.

http://www.protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=00&ID2=15