• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Bumper Build*UPDATE-DONE!

BroncoBrummet

Loc.
Spring Creek , NV
Here it is!

Attachments

• bumperpic1.jpg
    bumperpic1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 232
  • bumperpic2.jpg
    bumperpic2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 249
  • Rackdesign1.jpg
    Rackdesign1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 61
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Looks good.
I would add a way to hold the tire carrier open. Maybe using the pin so you have a place to put it.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
How much does it sag down when you open it? I was suprised how much mine flexed when I built it. I thought it would be like a tank but it still flexs more than I like.

Greg

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
No flex at all yet, but havnt stuck spare and full gas can on it yet either.

Mine doesnt flex in the carrier... the bumper itself kind of twists a little making the carrier flex up and down if that makes since. I would have never thought 1/4" plate would have done that.

It isnt much but I still dont like it.

Greg

CJ who???

Loc.
Banning, Ca...
That is nice !!! Man I've been wanting to buy a welder. Trying to explain all the money I'll save to the wife by building my own crap. A rear bumper like that would cost somebody around a cool grand to buy.

Real Nice !!!

OP
OP
BroncoBrummet

BroncoBrummet

Loc.
Spring Creek , NV
New Pics

Couple of pics. Safety stop, gas can holder.

Attachments

• tirecarrierholder.jpg
    tirecarrierholder.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 64
  • hinge2stop.jpg
    hinge2stop.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 68
  • hinge1.jpg
    hinge1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 64

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Looks great so far. Just a FYI before you paint it. You are going to need a latch to keep it pinned shut. I have the same pin setup as you do. When the Bronco get's flexed up it will release. My pin goes a good 1 1/2" into the bumper. I use a bungee cord for now so when it does release it doesn't swing out hitting a tree or God forbid a bystander %)...

Attachments

• 2010 Round-Up 075.jpg
    2010 Round-Up 075.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 2010 Round-Up 027.jpg
    2010 Round-Up 027.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 57

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Mine is spring loaded and goes quite a bit into the bumper. The main parts of the bumper is 3/16" and the pivot point is a Summitt Machine pivot. Very stout since I have a 38" tire with H1 rim. I know even though I have alot of weight on the swing the flex is releasing the pin. My guess is the frame is flexing enough to actually pull the swing end up away from the main part of the bumper in a ">" shape.
I'm going to redo the end of the bumper with a threaded catch or box the top of the end so it can't go up.