• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

REAR DISC BRAKES (who has the best deal)

BRussell

Loc.
Winston Salem
I have the front disc but know I want some rear disc brakes. I know all of the major vendors have them so what would be my best choice?

moabbronco

Loc.
Payson, Utah
I did my rear disks on my own. I bought the brackets from speedway motors for $10.95 apiece plus shipping of course. Picked up some "85 cadillac rear calipers from a junkyard, bought some rotors at the same junkyard off of a '79 f150. and bought the lines from NAPA. I think I spent $150 or so and they work great.

NAPA rotor #85-611
Rear hoses #BH36761
Caliper Rear left 242-2100
Caliper Rear right 242-2101
Speedway motors caliper brackets #91641010
disk pads AE 7070 RM
by the way this is the same rotor as the front on the 76-77 early bronco and most early model f-150's 1/2 ton of course.

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Do you have to use the calipers mentioned or can you use another set of the ford calipers? Thanks I have been also wanting to convert mine. I would like to use the same pads/calipers all the way around if possible.

Thanks,

-ED

moabbronco

Loc.
Payson, Utah
you do have to use the chevy calipers with these brackets but you have another choice. you can use calipers off the front of about an 82-88 S-10 front pickup of mid 80's camaro front.
These are the metric calipers and use an AE 7070AM pad.
NAPA calipers that will work with these brackets are 242-2046, 242-2047 also 242-2032 and 242-2033 these have no parking brake so if you wan't the P-Brake then you use the 242-2100 and 242-2101.
I don't know of a kit that uses the same ford caliper and brake 242-4032 and 242-4033 with brake AE 7013. (Also A little hint for you guys with custom rims NAPA has a ceramic pad that dosen't cause a lot of dusting it is a CMX 788am but on the inner pad one of the tabs are taller than the stock bronco 7013's so I just grind a little off the tab until it fits in the bracket).

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
moabbronco said:
I did my rear disks on my own. I bought the brackets from speedway motors for $10.95 apiece plus shipping of course. Picked up some "85 cadillac rear calipers from a junkyard, bought some rotors at the same junkyard off of a '79 f150. and bought the lines from NAPA. I think I spent $150 or so and they work great.

NAPA rotor #85-611
Rear hoses #BH36761
Caliper Rear left 242-2100
Caliper Rear right 242-2101
Speedway motors caliper brackets #91641010
disk pads AE 7070 RM
by the way this is the same rotor as the front on the 76-77 early bronco and most early model f-150's 1/2 ton of course.

Are these with the e-brakes also?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If you have a medium duty housing or are also considering upgrading the rear axles to 31 spline then the Explorer (Motorsport SVO kit) rear disks are a good option. The parking brake in them works better than any of the other rear disk options I've seen.

mrcat88

Bronco Guru
Loc.
VacaVILE, CA
medium duty housing

What do you mean by that? Big Bearing? And where do you find this Ford Exploder kit? or is there one?

I'm exploring rear disc options also, and I know of three, I think.

1. BC Broncos kit
2. JBG has a kit from TSM I think
3. Various weld-on brackets from various racing suppliers.

I like the bolt on stuff, since I can't weld. I also already have some of the Caddy calipers that I scored at a junkyard.

What about these? Anyone think they will work?

Ebay Disc Brakes

mrcat88

Bronco Guru
Loc.
VacaVILE, CA
I don't know...the auction says "Mustang" so I have no idea. I can ID lots of parts by looking at them, but not brake rotors. %)

Mrcat88

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
73stallion said:
are those explorer disc brakes? they look like them.
No but they are along the same lines. The Explorer ones have a backing plate that is the full diameter of the rotor.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
mrcat88 said:
What do you mean by that? Big Bearing? And where do you find this Ford Exploder kit? or is there one?

I'm exploring rear disc options also, and I know of three, I think.

1. BC Broncos kit
2. JBG has a kit from TSM I think
3. Various weld-on brackets from various racing suppliers.

I like the bolt on stuff, since I can't weld. I also already have some of the Caddy calipers that I scored at a junkyard.

What about these? Anyone think they will work?

Ebay Disc Brakes
The Big Bearing housings come with 2 different patterns on the housing ends. Actually Dutchmans sells the kit to fit either housing. The one most often referred to as the Medium Bearing is identical to the other one except for the housing ends which use the Torino ends which is identical to the pattern on the Explorer Rear Disks. (And some other newer 9" Big Bearing axles) If I recall right the backspacing on the Medium Duty axle (74/75 I think) is correct as well. For the one most often refered to as the big bearing (only in the EB world) the backspacing I believe is incorrect requiring different axles. As for the kit several places sell it and Wild Horses sells a kit that also includes the axles. For the Motorsports kit by itself it usually sells for about $400. I bought mine from Dutchman Motorsports for $390. (I also got my 35 spline axles there as well) Summit also sells the kit and I think Complete Off Road and Currie Interprises do as well. The kit is exactly the same thing as the rear disks on my 97 Explorer with the only exceptions being an added preload spacer on the axle to make up the difference in the backing plate thickness and the rotors have the 5 x 5 1/2" pattern drilled in them. (I could literally pull them off and put them right on my Explorer) I chose the kit though because the cost of doing a junkyard shop was within $100 by the time I counted new calipers, pads, etc. (Others here have done the junkyard swap) The Explorer brakes bolt right to the end of the axle if you have the big bearing that uses 3/8" bolts (Torino ends). If you have the big bearing with the larger bolts then you can still get the kit with the right pattern from Dutchman Motorsports. (Others may also drill it for the large pattern as well) The reason for needing new axles with this kit is to get the right backspacing. It might not be necessary with the housing using Torino ends.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
73stallion said:
that's what i thought too, but aren't the dust shields tin that can be cut off?
Yes they are tin. I should go to the garage and look at the backing plate sitting there. I have one that the backing plate came off when I accidentally put the ebrake to the full torque test. I was in low/low range (4:1) in reverse and 4WD and I kept pushing on the throttle when it wouldn't move. Eventually it did but it sheared the pin off the top that hold the shoes on when it did. (Proof positive that the ebrake holds extremely well because something was bound to break under that much torque) $45 later for a junkyard backing plate and I again have a working ebrake. I'll run out and get a pic of the one out there and do a comparison.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Okay, here we go. The first pic below is of the backing plate and shield from the Explorer separated. It is very similar to the Mustang one except the caliper mount is in a different position. There also appears to be more gusseting in the Explorer casting. The extra pics I threw in are to get an idea of what they look like installed.

FWIW, I think the Ebay ones might just work out although I think they would be subject to the same requirements as the Explorer ones. I.E. The backspacing on the axle would need to be correct, the rotors would need to be drilled for the right pattern, and i would need the preload spacer installed. You would need to verify the correct bearing hole diameter and bolt pattern as well.

Attachments

• SaddleUp127.jpg
    SaddleUp127.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 102
  • SaddleUp53.jpg
    SaddleUp53.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 118
  • SaddleUp52.jpg
    SaddleUp52.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 132
  • SaddleUp64.jpg
    SaddleUp64.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 126
  • SaddleUp65.jpg
    SaddleUp65.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 89

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
If I were to do it over again, I would either find myself the biggest set of drum brakes and rebuild them so they work properly, or go with the exploder setup. Main reason being is the e-brake. I am currently running the caddy stuff and the e-brake just doesn't hold as well as drum e-brakes. I'm not trying to bad-mouth anyone, just telling the real-life experiences. I can barely keep my EB in the driveway with just a slight incline %) . It's almost worthless, and that stuff wasn't cheap either...
Drum brakes do work if adjusted and all parts are good, but if you want the bling of 4W-Discs, go for it.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
BRussell said:
I have the front disc but know I want some rear disc brakes. I know all of the major vendors have them so what would be my best choice?
Just to throw another wrench into the machinery
I use the ones off a Lincoln late 70's car.
Straight bolt on and everything works including the E brakes.
Cost is cheap too.
TOFIC

sdever98

SaddleUp said:
If you have a medium duty housing or are also considering upgrading the rear axles to 31 spline then the Explorer (Motorsport SVO kit) rear disks are a good option. The parking brake in them works better than any of the other rear disk options I've seen.

I second that. I just put these on and it is the first time since I have owned my bronco that my parking brake actually works and works very well!

Scott.

Mark in Memphis

Walker,

I read your tech article about the Lincoln brakes and they sound great. Do you know what range of years to look for? TIA

Mark

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Mark in Memphis said:
Walker,

I read your tech article about the Lincoln brakes and they sound great. Do you know what range of years to look for? TIA

Mark
depends on the type of rears you are looking for.
If you have the small bolt pattern rear end, look for an early 70's large Ford luxury car. I have found them on Thunderchickens.
If you have the large bolt pattern look on the late 70's Lincoln cars. Mine came off a 78 continental.
TOFIC