• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

REAR DISC BRAKES (who has the best deal)

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
MsMyMny said:
If your going to do rear disc brakes, do it right and install the SVO kit.
Scott
Well, if you have the money I suppose that is one way to do it. Personally I do not like it. That kit was designed and built for the 8 inch rear end and I have my suspicions about it. I prefer something designed and built for the toughest rear end known to man, the Bronco 9 inch!!
Not to mention, my latest grab of rear disks and Hboost cost me 50. Guy ran a dodge wrecking yard and had a lincoln car in it with the boost in it. Made a deal and installed the whole assembly in a buddys 76 in a weekend.
TOFIC

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
walker949 said:
Well, if you have the money I suppose that is one way to do it. Personally I do not like it. That kit was designed and built for the 8 inch rear end and I have my suspicions about it. I prefer something designed and built for the toughest rear end known to man, the Bronco 9 inch!!
Not to mention, my latest grab of rear disks and Hboost cost me 50. Guy ran a dodge wrecking yard and had a lincoln car in it with the boost in it. Made a deal and installed the whole assembly in a buddys 76 in a weekend.
TOFIC

I guess I'm missing something. For one thing, the Explorer brakes were used on the 8.8" rear end, not the 8" rear end. Big difference. The housing end flange on the 8.8" rear end has the same bolt pattern and uses the same size bearings as the late big bearing 9" housings: 3.15" OD bearings, the "Torino" housing end. The late Ford Explorers are as heavy as a Bronco and actually have more weight on the rear axle than an early Bronco does.

I installed Explorer brakes on a new Currie 9" housing with Currie 31 spline axles about 4 months ago. They are a nice improvement on the GM metric (Caddy) calipers I had before. The piston size is smaller so I have a higher pedal (better feel). Smaller normally means less stopping power, but the fact is that even with hydroboost, a 1-1/8" master cylinder and T-bird calipers in front I still need a proportioning valve to keep the rears from locking first. Since the proportioning valve reduces the pressure to the rear brakes (thus reducing their stopping power) that tells me that the Explorer calipers are up to the job of stopping my Bronco, which has a hardtop and a 35" bumper-mounted spare tire. Having an emergency brake that actually works well is a bonus.

I just got back from the Rubicon a couple of days ago. The brakes were great on the trail. I found that hydroboost is much more consistent and easy to modulate than the vacuum booster I used to have. On the drive home descending from almost 7000 feet to sea level on windy mountain roads my brakes were fine- no fade, no pulling, no problems.

The Explorer setup isn't cheap, and installation is more complex than some other rear disc brake setups. You need to get different axles, but if you were thinking about upgrading to 31 spline axles anyway, it's not more expensive to get axle shafts that are Explorer compatible than any other design. The Explorer backing plates can be redrilled to fit standard big bearing ends or you can get the Torino ends and have them welded on. If you have a small bearing housing that's a cheaper option than buying a new housing. I'm sure the Lincoln stuff is fine, but it's unrealistic to say that the Explorer brakes are inferior in any way other than cost.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
walker949 said:
TOFIC
Lars pretty much covered it. I can add that I have had mine installed for about 6 months now and there is no question at all that they are up to the task. Contrary to popular belief the Explorer is heavier than most EB's.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
walker949 said:
TOFIC

I've had both caliper setups on my truck - I ran the Lincolns from 1993 until last year (with a few short breaks for Cadillac calipers in between). It's hard to beat the Lincoln parts from a cost perspective, but I haven't been disappointed with the extra $$ I've spent on the Explorer/SVO pieces yet. The Lincoln calipers, like the Cadillac's, have a well-deserved reputation for a poorly functioning e-brake assembly. I'm not saying they won't work, but many people's experiences have been that they function well only for a short period of time, function poorly, or don't work at all. There's a reason the OEM's have all gone to the drum-brake-in-the-hat e-brakes in the past 10 years. It really depends on what your priorities are for your braking system; one of my highest priorities happens to be a good e-brake; that's not the case for everyone.

I'll also second Lars' analysis with regards to the points he made above - they're spot on.

Todd Z.

MsMyMny

Loc.
So Cal
How about line locks for parking brakes?? plus you can lock the rear's and walk the front end around or visa versa.
Scott

69Sport

Loc.
ST. Louis
Rear Disk

Hey guys just a few questions, I have the TSM set up with the Caddy Calipers on my frame up resto so I have not yet ran them. Is there any hope for this e-brake set up. Just from the posts I have been reading it does not sound to promising. I already have the money in the set up. Is there any one out there that has had good luck with the e-brake set up on caddy calipers? What would be the options to make the system better that would be the most cost effective? Thanks 69sport

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
MsMyMny said:
How about line locks for parking brakes?? plus you can lock the rear's and walk the front end around or visa versa.
Scott
Line locks are not the same as parking brakes. Most states (assuming my sampling of the state codes is the same in most other states) require (as an emergency brake) a seperate system that will work even if the primary system fails. (The wording varies from one state code to the next but most of the ones I looked at specifically had a code to this effect) Line locks rely on the primary hydraulic system working so they don't pass most state codes on it and they certainly will not do any good if the brakes go out. I don't know about others but I will not get in front of or behind a rig where line locks are being used to hold it (I've seen them disengage after setting for a few minutes) and I wouldn't leave it on for any length of time. (Having used them in the past they work great to free up the brake pedal on trails with a manual tranny but I don't consider them reliable enough for any other purpose other than possibly to walk the front/rear around which twin sticks also do) I.E. They are a good option for some things but I wouldn't consider them a replacement for a good Ebrake.

moabbronco

Loc.
Payson, Utah
I have the caddy brakes with metalic pads and I have not had any of the problems everyone else has had. At about thirty mph I can pull on the e-brake about halfway and lock up the rear. I am running 35's and a c-4 so I wanted a good e-brake. I think one good thing to do is to use the e-brake at least a couple times every week to keep the pistons out. I rebuild these calipers for a living so I know how they all work and I think the caddy brakes need to be pulled with the cable every once in a while. I rebuild all types of calipers for NAPA and I think that the explorer calipers are the simples't with the least moving parts.

MsMyMny

Loc.
So Cal
moabbronco said:
I have the caddy brakes with metalic pads and I have not had any of the problems everyone else has had. At about thirty mph I can pull on the e-brake about halfway and lock up the rear. I am running 35's and a c-4 so I wanted a good e-brake. I think one good thing to do is to use the e-brake at least a couple times every week to keep the pistons out. I rebuild these calipers for a living so I know how they all work and I think the caddy brakes need to be pulled with the cable every once in a while. I rebuild all types of calipers for NAPA and I think that the explorer calipers are the simples't with the least moving parts.

"Pull the ebrake"! You must of changed up the ratio when you switched to a lever type e brake.
Scott

MsMyMny

Loc.
So Cal
SaddleUp said:
Line locks are not the same as parking brakes. Most states (assuming my sampling of the state codes is the same in most other states) require (as an emergency brake) a seperate system that will work even if the primary system fails. (The wording varies from one state code to the next but most of the ones I looked at specifically had a code to this effect) Line locks rely on the primary hydraulic system working so they don't pass most state codes on it and they certainly will not do any good if the brakes go out. I don't know about others but I will not get in front of or behind a rig where line locks are being used to hold it (I've seen them disengage after setting for a few minutes) and I wouldn't leave it on for any length of time. (Having used them in the past they work great to free up the brake pedal on trails with a manual tranny but I don't consider them reliable enough for any other purpose other than possibly to walk the front/rear around which twin sticks also do) I.E. They are a good option for some things but I wouldn't consider them a replacement for a good Ebrake.

Damm...I'm putting the drums back on ;D
Scott

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
69Sport said:
Hey guys just a few questions, I have the TSM set up with the Caddy Calipers on my frame up resto so I have not yet ran them. Is there any hope for this e-brake set up. Just from the posts I have been reading it does not sound to promising. I already have the money in the set up. Is there any one out there that has had good luck with the e-brake set up on caddy calipers? What would be the options to make the system better that would be the most cost effective? Thanks 69sport

I got the e-brake working with my Caddy calipers. Not as well as the Explorer setup I have now but good enough to hold my Bronco in my upward-sloping driveway. I wrote a tech article about restoring the e-brake function: Caddy rear disc brake article

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
MsMyMny said:
Damm...I'm putting the drums back on ;D
Scott

Ahhh, therein lies the beauty of the Explorer hardware: the Explorer rear disc brakes use a separate mechanical drum brake inside the rotor hat as the emergency brake. Have yer cake n' eat it too! ;D