• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear disc caliper leak

franco

installed the disc conversion kit from WH. the caliper leaked out of the center seal which looked damaged. WH sent out a replacement caliper ASAP. no questions. now this new one leaks at same location. looks like a rectangular tit on the back of the brake pad makes contact with this seal. any ideas ?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you talking about the dust boot? Most calipers have an external dust boot that prevents dirt and water from contacting the square o-ring seal. The seal is down in the piston bore, captured between a grove in the caliper body and the piston, so there's no way for any part of the brake pad to make contact with the actual seal.

Now, if the dust boot is damaged, it should be replaced and they're a couple bucks at any auto parts store. Is it possible that you're just seeing assembly lube leaking from the dust boot? Sometimes it's a grease, others they just use brake fluid in place of actual assembly lube.

Welcome to CB.com...first post. Woo-hoo!

OP
OP
F

franco

there is a small rubber , i'll call it a button in the center of the piston facing the back of brake pad. the brake fluid leaks out of this location, not the dust boot.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey franco, another welcome to classicbroncos. Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Which kit is it that you're running? http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/broncodiscbrakekitsrear
The #3025 w/axles, or the #3061 with just the disc components?

Let me know and I'll got check out a caliper. Maybe even take a pic or two so we can all see what you're talking about.

Thanks.

Paul