• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Disc Conversion vs. Hydroboost Upgrade

willwinkler

Loc.
Austin
Hey All,

I have a 1976 with front disc, rear drums, and factory boost system trying to stop 35" tires. Interested in opinions on where to spend money on upgrading this system.

Options:
- Upgrade to rear discs, keep factory vacuum booster
- Keep rear drums, upgrade to hydroboost brake system
- Is it worth it to fully upgrade to rear discs + hyrdoboost system?
- Also found an "extreme" power booster on Bronco Graveyard that claims more vacuum assist than factory booster.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

-Will

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Hydroboost.

35 inch tires is about where most people find the vacuum boost systems inadequate.

Replacing your front calipers with T-bird calipers would also be an improvement.

Rear discs won't really improve your stopping.
They do have a few other advantages (and disadvantages).

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Hydroboost for sure. Not much difference between rear disc or drop on highway. Rear disc gives you a little more control over rear lock up off road. E-brake can be an issue with rear disc. The exploder kits don't hold big tires well and the caddy kits are a pita to get adjusted right.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 77 with stock front disk, rear drums and running 35s looking at doing rear disk also.
I really don't have any issues with the brakes I can clamp down pretty hard with just a bit of rear lock.
but what I did do is replace everything, booster, MC, lines calipers and better pads. I think getting rid of all the rust and 35 year old+ seals really helped. Unless your the original PO you never know about maintaince.

fstik

Rear discs

I have a 67 with chevy disc conversion on front and TRM/Cadillac disc setup on the back with hydroboost. caddy e brake is a pain in the butt, but it does work somewhat. the system as a whole stops very fast with my 35 inch tires. I would do the hydroboost first then the rear discs if you still aren't happy.

fstik

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Rear discs are a waste of time in terms of added braking power. As was stated above, they have other advantages but you'll never notice the difference between rear discs and drums provided each system is in proper working order. Hydroboost on the other hand will put you through the windshield if you're not careful. My '68 Bronco with hydroboost stops better than my modern daily driver.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Hydroboost, definitely. Really made a difference to my truck. May do rear disc at some point but if you are debating one or the other, hydroboost, hands down.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
As already said, hydro boost is the way to go. Our 66 has drums on all four corners and stops 100 percent better than the 74 which has discs up front and drums on the rear. While it is not assisted by a booster, I still think the 66 would stop better than the other rig w a booster.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Another vote for the HydroBoost! Running 35's with disk in front and drum in rear and stopping is not a problem at all but all elements are new from the MC on back!

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,

I agree with everyone, hydrobooster first!

BUT if I could do it again, I'd purchase a 100% new kit from a Bronco store. I used something less pricy and it works but I don't like the way it mounts plus I'm always second guessing the quality of the rebuilt booster.

For the rear, keep the drums. My rear discs refuse to cooperate with my parking brake and hindsight; if you apply the parking brake on hot rear rotors they can warp and mess with they way it stops.

Good luck!
Chris