• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear disc conversion

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
donks&broncs said:
I don't want a copy ;D ;D ;D Just thought I would break the chain. I'll wait for it to pop up here, but how does it differ from the one Jon already has in the tech section? http://classicbroncos.com/reardiscs.shtml
The above article is about the GM rear install. It is the Cadillac calipers and rotors and requires some serious fabrication skills. It is mentioned in the article the ebrakes are a pain and the system is "approximately" right for the Bronco. No doubt in my mind it is, as Lars would not do anything stupid or dangerous, but when there is a better option I use it.
The better option is a Ford system. I like bolt on. I like simple. I like a E brake system that is an easy hookup and works. And I like it inexpensive!! Notice I said inexpensive, not cheap. Brakes are not the area to scrimp on in any way shape or form. Do it right, with the best available components the first time and don't worry about it.
My two cents worth and your right, you can wait for JON to post the article.
TOFIC

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
walker949 said:
The machinist and I have developed a solution that in the end will cost about 50 bucks to put the massive Lincoln discs on the Bronco. With a little more work I will have hydroboost brakes on 4 wheel discs (12 and 1/2' rotors!!) on my horse. It only weighs 4000 lbs with a brake system meant to stop a 6500 lb car.
Can you say major whoa power?? It also has factory Ford Ebrake setup on it that works! More to follow.

TOFIC

So is the truck running with the rear discs on it yet? My experience with the Lincoln discs is that although the brakes themselves work very well, the e-brake on them doesn't work very well.

Todd Z.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
toddz69 said:
So is the truck running with the rear discs on it yet? My experience with the Lincoln discs is that although the brakes themselves work very well, the e-brake on them doesn't work very well.

Todd Z.

Todd!!! Good to hear from you!! Answer to your question.
My truck is not running with these discs. Not to say I have not done this conversion, I have, but on other peoples rig. (sound familiar?) I have done it on two other Broncos, one a 77 one a 76. Both big bearing. Had to fab a bracket for the E cables for them to work right but they both worked well. It is to be noted that in both cases we had to replace the right caliper or rebuild it as they were rusted inside the ebrake mechanism to the point is would not work. The brakes worked normally, no problem, we just could not get the ebrake to hold until we did the rebuild/replace. Then it worked fine. As soon as I get finished replacing the motor in my Bronco (some stupid driver cooked the bottom end in a mud hole of the previous motor, I wonder who??) I will be doing the rear discs on this truck. Want me to send you some pictures and a report on how it went??

TOFIC

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
walker949 said:
Todd!!! Good to hear from you!! Answer to your question.
My truck is not running with these discs. Not to say I have not done this conversion, I have, but on other peoples rig. (sound familiar?) I have done it on two other Broncos, one a 77 one a 76. Both big bearing. Had to fab a bracket for the E cables for them to work right but they both worked well. It is to be noted that in both cases we had to replace the right caliper or rebuild it as they were rusted inside the ebrake mechanism to the point is would not work. The brakes worked normally, no problem, we just could not get the ebrake to hold until we did the rebuild/replace. Then it worked fine. As soon as I get finished replacing the motor in my Bronco (some stupid driver cooked the bottom end in a mud hole of the previous motor, I wonder who??) I will be doing the rear discs on this truck. Want me to send you some pictures and a report on how it went??

TOFIC

Absolutely! Send her along. toddz69@juno.com.

Thanks,
Todd Z.