• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear disc question - s-10 caliper conversion

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
Searched the tech section and forums - no luck - looking for details on the s-10 rear disc conversion. I've already got brackets, calipers, rotors... Need details on bracket mounting location.

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
When I did my rear disc's I installed the rotors, bolted the calipers to the bracket, set the calipers on the disk and tacked the brackets. Worked great for me YMMV

Last edited:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you say you've "...already got brackets...", are you referring to the pad abutment brackets that cradle the pads and caliper or the backing plates that bolt to the axle housing, contain the parking brake components, and to which the calipers are bolted?

Maybe I don't understand your question, but if you have the backing plates the originally bolted to the 10-bolt S-Truck housing, then just use that as a basis to make your new brackets. That should give you all of the critical dimensions with respect to the radial dimensions. The brake offset dimension is different between the 10-bolt and 9", so you'll need to take that into consideration for axial positioning, but bracket design could vary depending on whether you're thinking weld-on or bolt-on.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry for adding to the confusion...my bad. You're talking about doing a generic GM metric caliper rear kit running S10 front calipers on the rear, not S10 rear calipers as used on the late-model trucks.