• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Disc Question

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I've been reading info on rear disc brake set ups for a while now, trying to find the most cost-effective type I can. My daily driver is a 2000 Mustang V6 5spd. I was working on it the other day and paid close attention to the disc brake set up with parking brake and was wondering if anyone has tried adapting that set up? It would be a pretty clean set up, and like many of the others would require cutting down the axle flange and re-drilling the disk for 5-1/2 on 5. There are a million of them in the pick-n-pull, so parts are readily available. Thoughts?

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Is this essentially a "bolt on" replacement to the EOM Drums? what else would be needed?

I'm thinking you'll need a different e-brake cable. It's advertised as bolt on, so they would have had to make a change to the disc to fit over the axle flange.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Thought about using this, but those who have it say the e-brake set up is a pain. The Mustang set up uses the disc pads and a spring loaded release mechanism, so no extra parts.

Where are you seeing info on the explorer and mustang versions?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Thought about using this, but those who have it say the e-brake set up is a pain. The Mustang set up uses the disc pads and a spring loaded release mechanism, so no extra parts.

You've got this backwards. The Explorer setup has the best rear disc ebrake setup. It's the ones that use the caliper pads that are a nightmare to get to work correctly. There are many threads about the frustrations with calipers with ebrakes not working correctly (or at all) here on the board.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've been reading info on rear disc brake set ups for a while now, trying to find the most cost-effective type I can. My daily driver is a 2000 Mustang V6 5spd. I was working on it the other day and paid close attention to the disc brake set up with parking brake and was wondering if anyone has tried adapting that set up? It would be a pretty clean set up, and like many of the others would require cutting down the axle flange and re-drilling the disk for 5-1/2 on 5. There are a million of them in the pick-n-pull, so parts are readily available. Thoughts?

Why are you looking at rear disc? For most daily drivers you're better odd keeping the rear drums. Both the popular rear disc set ups have a questionable e-brake. Dont know about the wilwoods.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
You've got this backwards. The Explorer setup has the best rear disc ebrake setup. It's the ones that use the caliper pads that are a nightmare to get to work correctly. There are many threads about the frustrations with calipers with ebrakes not working correctly (or at all) here on the board.

I have read about folks having trouble with both, and having a lot of trouble with the GMs, but haven't heard of anyone trying the mustang set up. Ford stuff just seems to work better, IMHO.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We’ve never gotten our GM ebrake to work well. Go Explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Not trying to hijack the thread, but it’s in the same area/topic. Has anyone had any success with doing a disc brake on the rear driveshaft to be the E-brake??? Or is that too much sugar for a dime?
Randy

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

The Mustang rotors are probably too small for EB rear axles. I haven't measured the ID of the hats, but I'd guess they're require you to machine the EB axle flange down so far that you'd get into the area where the studs are. That's one reason most of the kits using the late model Mustang calipers don't work on trucks/Broncos. The Mustang is about the only vehicle I know still using cable-actuated e-brake calipers. They must work better than the old GM stuff. I know of two people using the Varga/Mustang calipers due to using full-floaters and they say their e-brakes work pretty well.

Since the GM stuff stinks and the Explorer stuff is a bit limited with its fitment, I think there's a market out there for some good kits with these later model cable-actuated calipers. Master Power Brakes have some kits that work on Ford trucks - some will work on Broncos but I haven't investigated all of them fully yet.

Todd Z.

Waldo

Contributor
I found the search to determine best rear brake conversion to be overwhelming with options. In the end decided on something that was most compatible with stock configuration and not needing major modifications (e.g. new shock mount locations). In the end I installed the TBP 7500SL conversion 2 years ago on my 75 and I am extremely happy with outcome. (non-slotted version $100 cheaper)
https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/drilled-slotted-rear-disc-brake-kit-for-11-inch-drums
Install was super easy. No modifications needed other than welding small brake line tab on rear-end casing. And e-brake works perfectly. Plus, definitely noticed an improvement in stopping performance over original drum brakes as well. (had previously converted front to same drilled/slotted set up).
With QP conversion at $400, IMHO the TBP at $700 is comparable given the extra components included (e.g. pads, cables).
My $0.02.
Good luck!