• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Discs with Wheel Vintiques OEM-style wheels

OhhhhYeahhh

Hey there, I'm looking to install 4 wheel discs on my stock 66'. I can't seem to find definite confirmation that the Wheel Vintiques Ford OEM-style wheel (15 x 7, 5 x 5.5 with 4" backspace) will work with rear discs as-is or if it needs a spacer. And if so, how big of a spacer? I know discussion of these wheels has been beat to death but I scoured the forums in search for this question and there was no definite answer.

Wheel information:
Wheel Vintiques 62 Series Ford-Chevy Style O.E. Bare Wheels
15 in.x 7 in., 5 x 5.5 in. Bolt Circle, 4 in. Backspace
(Mfr. #: 62-575504)

Link at Summit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-62-575504

Also, does anyone have a strong recommendation of a 4 wheel disc setup for going this wheel route? Tom's set is pretty attractive at $1500 with the booster and all hardware. I'd like an "out of the box" set unless there is a significant discount piecing it out.

512cadillac

rear disc brakes

Not sure if this will help but when I installed rear disc brakes on my 73 I used the weld on brackets and the Cadillac calipers. Had to relocate the bottom shock mounts for clearance. With this set up the 15" alloy wheels I wanted to use hit the calipers. I needed another 1/16-1/8" for them to clear. I ended up selling those wheels and found a deal on some 17" wheels and tires. I would recommend installing the brakes of your choice then figuring out what wheel will clear. john

01JLH

If you use weld on caliper brackets,the small gm calipers with the emergency brakes, move your lower shock mounting brackets over closer to the spring perches, then install the rotors on the back side of the axle flange (like the really old BC broncos instructions used to say) you will have no clearance issues with any stock wheels. You can use the jeep front rotors and they slide right over the axle bearing (even large bearings). Use wheel studs for the axle flange that have a slightly longer knurled shoulder on them and install the rotor on the back side of the axle flange, trim out the part of the rotor cap that will partially cover the hole in the axle flange where you stick the socket to install/uninstall the axle retainer bolt nuts.( very little trimming required ). I tried the bolt on brackets, and had clearance issues even with some spacers. Thicker spacers caused clearance issues with the uncut fenders. You basically don't weld on the caliper brackets until you have the axle/rotor assembly back in and you use the emergency brake to clamp the caliper to the rotor so that everything is lined up. Also use the new heavy duty C shaped axle bearing retainers instead of the old plates, it will make assembly easier.

OP
OP
O

OhhhhYeahhh

Thanks for all the input! It is helpful. I think I'll go the route of installing the brakes and worrying about wheels later.