• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear discs..

68ford

Bronco Guru
I also that smaller rear disc brakes may not be worth the money dependingding on what drums you have. What I will say is that if you do a disc upgrade with big calipers the difference is giant. On my eb, I had stock front discs and 76-77(largest of the 3)11x2.25 drums with no power assist. Hydroboost was out of the question due to size, and don't like it anyway, motor has to be running for it to work, all the extra potential leaks etc. My eb weighs 5400 pounds and didn't stop too well. And I already changed to CnC dual master cylinder assembly with higher leverage pedal. Then I installed 12in rotors and 4 piston wilwood superlite calipers when I built my full float 9in. Stopping is greatly improved, no comparison actually, the weight of my foot will stop it going down steep offramps. Looking forward to the same calipers on the front. The extra cost for the calipers is only little more than hydroboost kit roughly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Check out BC's rear disc kit. It is cheap. You can buy it in stages and it uses an appropriately sized (ie smaller than the front) caliper. Easy to install. Uses all factory type parts that will be easy to find in the future.

I'll check that out.. Thanks.

67RT

Bronco Guru
The small incremental improvement in braking by adding rear disks is not worth the work and cost, in my opinion. Front disks dialed in with a power booster (hydro or vacuum boost) is plenty safe for wheeling with your 3 year olds.

Now if you were running 40's on a buggy my opinion would be different . . . ;D
I agree, unless super swampers I would bag it. My heavy big block Mopar has front discs/rear drums and stops on a dime. Just make sure what you have is in good shape and all will be well. If you don't have power brakes, I would put in stainless caliper lines. They really can take a little mush out of the pedal.