• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear discs....worth it?

Pirate EB

Loc.
Cary, NC
You get most of your stoping power from the front brakes any way, so it isn't a real big deal to switch in the rear.

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
I hate retainers and stretching springs that try to rip your finger/knuckles off, star adjusters, spring cups.........4whl disc
is the way to go.

Pirate EB

Loc.
Cary, NC
I agree that drums suck, but there are so many other things on the Bronco you could spend your mony on to improve it. Rear discs would be low on my priority list.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
As was mentioned above most of the braking power comes from the front brakes. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 or 80% so having disks in back would not be that big of an upgrade.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D As said by Pirate EB put the money some place else and have fun with it good luck and have fun.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
in most situations they arent needed. during slower speed 4 wheelin drums are better because they self energize. but if you do a lot of rivercrossing the disc are better they will still work after crossing unlike drums that will barely stop you. like pirate said there are a lot better places to spend the money

73 toy

Loc.
Leavenworth,wa
I love having four discs, the advantages are in the sand, mud, and water. I like having more control, not necessarily more stopping power. I enjoyed getting rid of all that weight (clutter) in the back. I have chevy discs in the front and bc's in the rear, a manual line lock and don't need a proprtioning valve.:D :D