• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Drum Brakes Problem?

srestum

Quick question with hopefully an easy answer. I swapped axles this past weekend and the new axle has drum brakes (as did the old). I bled the brakes when I was done and the brakes work fine, except that there is a rubbing coming from the back passenger side rear that sounds like what disc brakes sound like when the pads are gone and metal rubs on rotor. It rubs about 75% of the time and continues even while braking. I know nothing about drum brakes, but I had to take off the front plate that shows the brake in order to get to the emergency brake and I'm pretty sure it's not the e-brake as it is set according to the book and works well. Any suggestions on what the problem is and what I can do to fix it? Thanks, Scott

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
Put the rear up on Jack stands and throw the truck in park. In the back of the drum below the axle tube you'll see a slot and a little gear contraption that expands and contracts depending on which way you turn it. Pushing your drums further apart or closer together. Just take a screwdriver and turn the little wheel while you spin the tire. You should feel the wheel start to spin easier. I don't remember off hand which way you need to turn it to make it loose though?

I had my wife sit inside the truck and press the brakes once I thought i had it set and I adjusted them from there. Took it out on the street and gave it the test to make sure it wasn't pulling.

Anybody else have some tips on setting them that may make it a bit easier? Not that it's hard but you never know! ;D

Meant to say, put it in Neutral, so you can turn the wheel ;)

OP
OP
S

srestum

Thanks, I'll try that tonight. I checked Jeff's, but the troubleshooting guide doesn't deal with my problem. Thanks for the help. Scott

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Odd - change the axle for new brake shoes????

;D ;D :D ;D ;D

B

bert

, except that there is a rubbing coming from the back passenger side rear that sounds like what disc brakes sound like when the pads are gone and metal rubs on rotor. It rubs about 75% of the time and continues even while braking.

My first impression is that the backing plate is rubbing on the drum.
Make sure the backing plate is not damaged/bent. It is possible that the new axle is not exactly in the same position as the old one allowing the brake drum to rub on the backing plate. A little work with a screwdriver or hammer may be all it takes to make the noise go away.
HTH bert

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Remove the drum and see what it is rubbing on. You might find a broken spring on the adjuster.

I think I read somewhere that all Bronco axles are not all the same length. If you put in a used axle it might be a little longer or shorter depending on what brake shoes were on the donor.