• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear fuel tank filler hose

malibubronco

Looks like the original fuel filler hose on my 73 rear fuel tank is leaking a bit. It
is the hose from the filler neck to the tank. Question is...do I need to completely empty the tank to change it out? Tanks...pun intended

Toddpole

Contributor
No. You don't need to empty the tank. Run it down to about 1/2 and you'll be ok. You can pull the screws that attach the neck to the fender to help get the hose in place.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like they said, won't be an issue for the fill hose.
It's the feed hose to the carb (siphon hose is a good word here!) where you have to get creative.
Under the right circumstances, popping the 3/8" hose off of that can empty the whole tank!

It'll be different on different designs of course, but I recently emptied a half-full 23 gallon tank by simply starting the flow with a gentle tilt. Leaving it that way literally drained the rest of the tank to the bottom, and under a fair decent pressure and flow too.
Was interesting to watch that whole process and not have to keep tilting the tank farther to get more out of it.

Paul