• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear main seal

andy

Loc.
Charleston
how hard is it to replace? from my very limited knowledge it is a split seal that from what i understand is supposed to be easier to change. any help would be very appreciated.

andy

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
I think its pretty easy. If you dont have a lift it may be hard to remove your oil pan, but other than that its just remove and replace.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) I find it better to just pull the motor and put it in a stand. Then you can roll it over and look at the bearing's and if they show copper just replace add a new oil pump and chain and good to go. I just did the F250 I got from ebay as it ran out the rear main. I did the front and rear main valve seals and chain and geat about 100.00. Good luck ;D ;D ;D Bill :p %) :cool:

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
You can jack the motor up with a block of wood under the harmonic balencer, drop the pan down enough to remove the oil pump pickup, remove the pan and change it in the vehicle, Ive done it. Really messy job , but it can be done. Loosen the main bolts and remove the rear main then change it with one of those Chinese handcuff looking tools {the upper one}. Soak the seals over night in oil and stagger the ends {not flush with the cap}with a dab of silicone seal on the tips. You can use the tool to pull the new upper in place. Crappy job for sure. Whether its easier to pull it out I couldnt say, I didnt have a way to do that at the time so there wasnt an option.