• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear spring Install help

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
I decided to try and install my 3.5" deaver rear springs by myself today. I have a couple of questions for you guys. My truck was alrready lifted about 3.5" in the rear but when I pulled off the old springs it was 4leafs and an overload leaf. Isn't that stock? How could It be lifted. I thought maybe i had a reverse shackle? But it looks to be stock. The other question I have is. When I bought the deavers I purchased new bushings and sleeves for it. the pachage comes with 2 small sleeves(front shackles?) and 6 larger sleeves(rear shackles?). I took the bushings and sleeves out of the package to pre-fit. How and the world is that bolt suppose to go through that sleeve? It doesn't look like it fits. Am I suppose to pound it in?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Probably had a older lift like skyjacker they offered new lift springs and had 5 leafs. Dont know about your bushing problem. But if I remember right the shackle bolts are different sized. You may have to tap them in but much more than tapping then I'd say theres something wrong.

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
I believe the 2 smaller sleeves are for the shackles... you will need to burn out ( torch ) the old shackle sleeve or get it pressed out then install the new bushing and sleeve... I hope that this helps... I did mine about 2 months ago( 31/2 deavers ) GL ..... MILO

OP
OP
C

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
ok, just an update on my problem. I re-checked the bushings and sleeves. I was using the wrong sleeves and bushings for that end of the spring. Problem is solved. I have the old prings out, but can't get the bolt from the shackle out. I tried pb blaster, Big hammer, and won't budge. Smashed the threaded end of the bolt, so now its no good. Any other way of getting the bolt out withought damaging the shackle? I guess I will buy all new bolts and nuts for this now. Where is the best place to get them? Can I get a complete kit? If not, anyone know what sizes they are?

OP
OP
C

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
I ordered my bolts from JBG. I guess I will just replace all of them while im at it. Should I be putting neverseaze on these? Is there a proper torque for these bolts when re-installing them? Any other suggestions as far as getting that damn bolt out from the shackle/spring.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Cant remember the sizes but I went to the local hardware store and got new bolts its way faster than waiting for the mail.(take the sleeves with you) You may want spray the bolt down with penetrating oil then hammer away the bolts trash anyway also you could try hacksawing on both sides of the bolt next to the spring. and last but not least try burning the bushing out the heat may loosen the bolt up.
I used teflon lube on my bolts and bushings during the install. It comes with some bushings but I ordered a small tub from energy suspension its seems to be very durable and I dont think it will wash off or soak in.

OP
OP
C

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
When installing new springs with shims, does the spring pack bolt screw into spring perch hole, or just slide in? Do i need to losen the leaf pack bolt?

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
The bottom of the bolt slides through the hole in the shim into the perch. The u bolts clamp everything together. No need to loosen spring pack bolt.

OP
OP
C

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
Hopefully the bolt is long enough to go through the shim and into the perch, correct?

OP
OP
C

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
Just an update on my problem. I manages to cut the bolt out. Cut the threaded end and head off with hacksaw, and slid the shackle out. Since i ordered new bolts and have the bushings I won't need the old ones
On other springs I started to install the bushings while I waited for my bolts. Thr front bushings went in normal. The rear bushings and sleeve were a B!@#$!!!!. Extremely tight. I greased them real good and still had to bang and press them in. Did I do something wrong? I used the large busgind for the eyes, and will be using the small bushings for the shackle.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
ca1a73 said:
Just an update on my problem. I manages to cut the bolt out. Cut the threaded end and head off with hacksaw, and slid the shackle out. Since i ordered new bolts and have the bushings I won't need the old ones
On other springs I started to install the bushings while I waited for my bolts. Thr front bushings went in normal. The rear bushings and sleeve were a B!@#$!!!!. Extremely tight. I greased them real good and still had to bang and press them in. Did I do something wrong? I used the large busgind for the eyes, and will be using the small bushings for the shackle.
They should only go in the hole that they were intented for so id say you are ok.

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
If the outer sleave was still in the spring eye it would make the bushing nearly impossible to install without pressing it in.

OP
OP
C

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
They are brand new springs, no old sleeves in. I didn't have this problem with the other side. Maybe the tolerances were off a little from the factory? I got the sleeve in , but the bushings on both sides are hanging out slightly. I pressed them in, seemed to help a little. But im not sure they are where they need to be. Im hoping when i snug them in with the mounting bolt it will press them in.