• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear leaf spring install

bsimaz

Loc.
West Michigan
I’m installing the rear leaf springs. Rear mounts have the correct size bolts and holes for the shackles but the front mounts have a smaller hole than the leaf spring. Can I just drill this out or am I missing something?
Thanks

JSBX

Contributor
Are you sure you have the correct bushings and sleaves?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is one of the leafspring bushings missing an inner sleeve perhaps?
Are these aftermarket spring designs with poly bushings? Or are they stock replacements with the vulcanized rubber and steel bushings?

OP
OP
bsimaz

bsimaz

Loc.
West Michigan
I’m installing the rear leaf springs. Rear mounts have the correct size bolts and holes for the shackles but the front mounts have a smaller hole than the leaf spring. Can I just drill this out or am I missing something?
Thanks
So I talked to Tom’s and The maker of the frame (Throddle Down Customs) and they said I would have to drill the hole to 5/8” to accommodate the leaf spring. Oh well, i have a drill.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Factory bushings have an outer steel sleeve then bonded rubber bushing and a steel inner tube of steel sometimes the bolts rust to the inner sleeve and then you saw zall the bolts out cutting through the side of the bushing while trying not to cut the spring perch. next you try to drive out the bushing and if successful it will still leave the thin outer shell in the spring you can try to cut the sleeve with a saw zall where the spring rolls back on itself or as I do use an air hammer with the pointed punch bit and force it between the shell and the spring then change and use the panel cutter bit with the hook on it and use the hook part to grab the bent shell and drive it out. if you have struggles with the rubber in the shell go around the rubber drilling holes in it around the perimeter until you can separate the rubber and the outer shell before you attack the outer shell. just depends what tools you have to work with.