• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilding Dana 30 kingpins

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
Where can I get some new caps? JBG used to sell a kit but I cant find it anymore now that I actually need it. The bearings were trash and locked up, which in turn screwed up the bottom part of the cap that sits in the bearing. Id like to put back some new ones, mainly because i dont want to pay 20 bucks for a set of used ones. Anybody know where some new ones are hiding?

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Jeffs sells good used ones for $10 a piece. Im just finishing up that job. Wildhorses has the complete kits with bearings & seals for $29.95 each and shim packs of 24 for $10. Mine took 12 per side to get the proper preload 6-16 ft lbs on a torque wrench on one bolt of the kingpin cap to turn the spindle. You will need to make a tool like shown in the ford manual to remove the old races and caps. Ill sell you mine for $20 + shipping if you need one. Cost me 430 and 3 weeks wait for it but it works slick.

luvmybronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ashland, Oh
LMC, Jeff's, Napa, Auto Zone, and Advanced Auto doesn't carry the rebiuld kits anymore...Wild Horses had 15 left when I ordered mine, but that was back in March...I'm trying to get the camber on the drivers side right on mine...Does anyone know how to adjust it? It's toed in at the bottom of the tire...

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
You adjust with the shim kit. If you have that big of a problem the bearings are probably shot. Wildhorses was the only place I could find the whole bearing & seal kit and the new shims. I put in the amount of shims removed like the manual says and it started to lock up so I took half of the 24 shim kit and it came out perfect. You put a torque wrench with a 9/16 socket on one of the 4 cap bolts. The book says 6-16 ft lbs to turn the spindle. Mine came out at 10. Email me if you have any questions, I just finished doing mine. Order the new bearings right away, the Wildhorses guy told me they are almost out of them. Its a real crappy design forn ford but it is what it is. Someone mentioned an offset shim available at NAPA if it still isnt in specs. There is no adjustment besides the initial preload spec.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
I should have mentioned that if you dont have a shop manual, that only the top bearing gets the shims, none on the bottom. If you have shimmed them both, that could cause the camber problem. Im not trying to be a wiseass here but Ive seen it done that way and in fact mine came apart that way so its an easy mistake to make

luvmybronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ashland, Oh
Thanks, I did get the new king pin baring kit form wild horses back in March...And I believe I put a few shims on the bottom, thanks for the tip, I can't find my manual...

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
I double checked the factory manual again and no shims in the bottom is correct. Putting shims there will definetly effect the camber setting. I would correct that first then see what you have as far as checking into the shims. I think you could just remove the wheel and be able to change the shims with a floor jack. Be sure and set the preload so you have the right drag on the steering knuckle or it will wear out faster. The correct spec is 9-16 lbs not 6-16 as I stated earlier. !2 shims on each side was correct on mine but Id check it with a torque wrench

OP
OP
agent_orange_71

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
Thanks for checking up on that. I have a 71 manual which only covers the 44. I ended up double checking the caps and after a good cleaning they are OK. Good thing since wild horses is out of them. Thanks again.

luvmybronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ashland, Oh
I am confused about finding the preload? What is preload? I lost my manual, can you give me instructions on doing this?

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
The preload is the amount of torque it takes to turn the steering knuckle with a torque wrench on one of the bolts that hold the kingpin bearing cap on. With a 9/16 socket on one of the 3/8 bolts it should take 9-16 ft lbs to rotate the knuckle with the torque wrench. You adjust this with the # of shims in the top kingpin cap until it falls into that range. There were 24 in the pac so I took a wild guess and used 12 and it was perfect. They arent very thick so 12 is only maybe 3/16 of an inch in thickness. It seems a little snug at first but it loosens up quickly as everything seats in and it gets the wheel & some weight on it. Just start with 12 on top & none on the bottom and adjust it if its too loose by removing shims until its right. It will wear really fast if it isnt correct.