• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reciever hitch

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the pics 904bronco, that is actually up higher than I thought. Looks like one could maybe even modify it a bit to go higher? Does your Bronco have a body lift as well?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
This photo makes my TBP hitch not look like it hangs down as low as it does....
It is tough. Because of my non-stock bumpers I couldn't use the Duff or Stroppe knock off hitches. It was a relief to see the TBP one would actually fit.

Attachments

• IMG_20170115_173021994.jpg
    IMG_20170115_173021994.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Thanks bronconut73, I think I'm leaning towards a Toms. My neighbor at work is a custom fab shop and if we can I'll start with Toms and see if we can raise it up without sacrificing the strength!?!

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Not that it matters but I said I would post a pic and so here is the contraption that was in the pile of parts that came with my Bronco. Never gave it a good look but now that I have it looks pretty homemade to me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I have a similar one, but I think it might be a little light weight for what I'm doing. I think that is the one referred to as the strope type?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you think a couple inches of hitch is gonna make a difference on the trail, well, then you haven't been on many trails. Especially if you were actually pulling a trailer on the trail. ;D

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I have a similar one, but I think it might be a little light weight for what I'm doing. I think that is the one referred to as the strope type?

Stroppe type hey then that means it's worth some money right?!? Let the bidding begin!

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
If you think a couple inches of hitch is gonna make a difference on the trail, well, then you haven't been on many trails. Especially if you were actually pulling a trailer on the trail. ;D

This is for my street truck. I think it will look better up higher, really no other reason for me.
Me and my first Bronco been on many trails. Rubicon, Dusy Ershim, Moab 3 times, all the hammer trails, hole in the rock, etc etc...
This truck

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Probably not, would have worked more like a skid plate in the rear! lol ;D

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. Mine was like that 1st blue Bronco with the Chrome bumper. Now mine is a Painted Black bumper.
I USED ONE I'D TAKE OFF A VAN & ADAPTER IT TO MY Bronco .. MINE IS RIGHT UNDER THE BUMPER Tight ..

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My TBP hitch caught me running through hooptydoos (lots of little hills). I was doing OK going through them diagonally, but one of them was a bit steep and my hitch drug the ground and sort of stopped my forward momentum. I stomped on it and got out of it, but yeah....The TBP hitch hangs down just a little far, but it is robust and tough. I'm still happy with it.

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
I installed TBP hitch with a WH Sherman tank. There was some over lap of the adjustable tank bracket. But I made spacers to hold the bracket down to clear the hitch bolt head. One spot each side.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Stroppe style
4d3e8925e45c737d3e00b2ebdcc8450d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmacstickman

Years ago when I had my stock'76 with no lift, I took it to a trailer shop that installed hitches and they fabbed one for me. I think thy used lat 3/8" plate as a base, and ran across the frame rails and cut and welded angle brackets out of the same, that came down and connected to the receiver. It hugged the bumper pretty close, so it was not very conspicuous. They did it in a day and it was only $130.

I am considering doing to my '70 at some point.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You can make the toughest hitch you want but if your only using the stock bumper frame horn bolt holes then that hitch is mounted very weak. Its not uncommon to see where heavy duty hitches and bumpers have been yanked right off the frame. Pulling is one thing, yanking with a strap to a non movable stuck truck is another thing. You need to reinforce past the very end bumper bolt holes. We have all seen pictures of Bronco mangled frame ends. Repairing the ends of Bronco frames is pretty common on old abused Broncos.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The TBP hitch is bolted to the frame in multiple locations. Much tougher than necessary.

It doesn't bolt to the frame horns at all.

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
The TBP hitch is bolted to the frame in multiple locations. Much tougher than necessary.

I agree, I would rather have to much than not enough.
Now if I can just find one local shipping that heavy bi**h would cost a fortune. Anyone got one for sale??

CT

Loc.
Geismar
Years ago when I had my stock'76 with no lift, I took it to a trailer shop that installed hitches and they fabbed one for me. I think thy used lat 3/8" plate as a base, and ran across the frame rails and cut and welded angle brackets out of the same, that came down and connected to the receiver. It hugged the bumper pretty close, so it was not very conspicuous. They did it in a day and it was only $130.

I am considering doing to my '70 at some point.

Would you mind posting a picture of it so i can find a local shop and show them a pic of what I want done.
thanks