• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Recommend ATF fluid for AOD

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m getting ready to start adding fluids to my build. So what do you guys recommend for the AOD and how many quarts?

Thanks Jeff

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The AOD that I had in my '67 Ranchero had its fluid preference stamped on the dip-stick.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Should be Mercon. If rebuilt, check with the rebuilder. They may have a fluid they want used to keep warranty.
How much depends on what is in there already. All new? You did put a quart in the convertor already so it isn't dry when you first start?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Awesome! You got those cooling lines all done?

I’m running Amsoil for everything but I remember comparing all the available fluids and I went with this one:
IMG_5158.jpeg
I haven’t started it up yet but I’m confident in the choice.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Should be Mercon. If rebuilt, check with the rebuilder. They may have a fluid they want used to keep warranty.
How much depends on what is in there already. All new? You did put a quart in the convertor already so it isn't dry when you first start?
I’m pretty sure the guy who rebuilt the trans had fluid in it. The torque converter wasn’t loose but set in the trans and held in with cheap wrenches. lol

Also when installing it… I had to roll the trans lines side and plenty of fluid came out. So it wasn’t dry for sure.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Awesome! You got those cooling lines all done?

I’m running Amsoil for everything but I remember comparing all the available fluids and I went with this one:
View attachment 902917
I haven’t started it up yet but I’m confident in the choice.
About how many quarts should I buy? The guys at Autozone said there is two different amounts that can go into the transmission.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
About how many quarts should I buy? The guys at Autozone said there is two different amounts that can go into the transmission.
Enough that it will be full. Rebuilt with already a mystery amount of fluid in it, just a wild guess. I would just pick up a case (12 quarts) as a starting point. Should have some left over.

There are too many variables. It might just need half a quart for what you spilled and to fill the cooler lines, or it may need most of the case. The fill amounts the parts store is quoting you are the basic values if you were to drop the pan, change the filter, and top it off. Your rebuilder may have filled it for you, or just a token wetting of the parts. Neither is the value that will match the parts store's books.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Also depends what pan is on there.

I think a stock pan is like 6.5 quarts. I have the B&M deep pan and it says to add 3 qt to that.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
It’s possible that I was only planning to use this for an initial break-in since it’s been sitting so long…can’t find those notes!

badandy73

Contributor
Broncoholic
The shop that did my 4R recommended Dex/ Merc 2 or 3, fill with 6 qts. to fire it off with initially then add up to a total of 10-12 until you get a full reading on the dipstick. I picked up some Valvoline as it's what they had at the local parts store and should be pretty generic to find just about anywhere.

Attachments

• PXL_20230520_172636766[607].jpg
    PXL_20230520_172636766[607].jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230520_172649102[608].jpg
    PXL_20230520_172649102[608].jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 5

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Finally about to add fluid to my AOD and having second thoughts about this Castrol I bought. Thinking maybe I should just put the Amsoil synthetic I got that I planned to run after break in. Don't really want to mix them.

Also finding such a huge range of capacity recommendations...seeing everything from 12-17 quarts.

Can anyone share any thoughts?

I have:
AOD
B&M Deep Pan https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-40291
3/8" Hard Lines that go back to the trans crossmember and to the Howe large radiator
Derale inline cooler: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13279

Was planning on running the Castrol through break in and then go to Amsoil: https://www.amsoil.com/p/oe-multi-vehicle-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid-otf/?code=OTFTP-EA but second guessing that.

Also, I've installed and mounted my Lokar dipstick but haven't cut it to length. In relation to the transmission itself, while running, can anyone tell me what level the trans should be at full? Like in relation to the the gasket surface of the pan? I could guess and would prob be ok but if anyone has guidance, I'd appreciate it.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Really don't think there is a break in with a tranny, fill it, run it till you need to change fluid in oh 75,000 miles/15 years. Unless you tear a tranny apart, you really can't swap out fluid from one brand to another, you will have a mixture of both.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ok, so after much searching I found some info that I hope helps someone.

According to what I found:

Seems like the bottom of the dipstick tube is at about the pan gasket level and the proper fill amount to full is about 1/4” above that. WHILE RUNNING. (most know that but writing it so people know).

A stock dipstick extends 1-3/4” below the tube and I did find some conflicting info so if someone has a stock AOD dipstick, could you please measure how high full is from the tip as well as the low mark?

One answer I found was 2-3/4 from the tip which seems way high while running.

Or if you can verify any of this, that would be great.

With my B&M pan, I just put in 9 qt and am at the 1/4” above line cold (not counting what I put in the TC already). I know I’ll need more but would like to end up with the right full mark.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'll add that when doing the 4R70W swap I had both the Explorer and mustang dipsticks and tubes. The full mark was different between the two.
There is likely no exact correct level. But a range of enough the trans doesn't starve and suck air to less than the rotating mass isn't churning through the oil. Too little and you can't build/maintain line pressure and have poor lube. Too much and the transmission will overheat with no amount of cooler being able to control it with possible oil pressure issues from the oil being foamed and further possible puking oil out the vent.

don k

I put the AOD from a 2009 Crown Vic PI in my 1958 Ford F100. It said to use Mercon V