• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Redneck cab enclosure

Eoth

Bronco Guru
So I ditched my hard top long ago and I can’t justify a real soft top for the rare occasion that it is needed. (mine is strictly a summer toy). So in bad weather I look like a mobile tarp-shelter on the trail and just plain cold and wet on the street.
I already had a safari top and doors but the gap between the roll cage and door window frame was just too large.

So here is my creation… It’s nothing more than a panel to fill in the gap between the door and roll cage. I coated cardboard with marine epoxy that is designed to soak into rotten wood. I then used 6” bungee cords to attach it to the roll cage.

With the additional purchase of a wind-jammer/wind-screen I now have protection on all sides. Now don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of gaps and I would not count on this to work in the winter, but my heater keeps me warm enough and it gives me enough protection from the rain.

Attachments

• IMG_1885.JPG
    IMG_1885.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1882.JPG
    IMG_1882.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1884.JPG
    IMG_1884.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1879.JPG
    IMG_1879.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1880.JPG
    IMG_1880.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1881.JPG
    IMG_1881.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 274

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
That's pretty slick. I likenit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Way too nice to be redneck. Not even any duct tape used. Boo Hiss

Looks like a nifty creation to me.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Screw the kids in the back seat!!!

I love the ingenuity of the owners on this site. Nice work, cardboard or no, it looks great and very functional!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Screw the kids in the back seat!!!

I love the ingenuity of the owners on this site. Nice work, cardboard or no, it looks great and very functional!

I was thinking the same thing about the kids.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Come on... Cardboard and bunjee cords??? That has to count! I was one step away from pulling out the zip-ties.

If the cardboard was still cardboard color and the bungee cords were assorted colors...I could see your point. You made it way too nice!:p:D

OP
OP
Eoth

Eoth

Bronco Guru
As for the redneck comment, well I have seen true craftsmanship on this site and my efforts pale in comparison. I having fun but lets not get carried away. ;)

As for my kids, you all gave me a good chuckle.. I guess I could have staged the pic a little better. ;D

That being said, you have to toughen up these kids somehow (just don't tell my wife!).

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Okay, then what material would you use to make the final version?

Counting that as a prototype.

It was made with CAD (Cardboard Aided Design)

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Yes, not too shabby at all. Let's hope it doesn't make it to the thread "PO bad / funny mods."

OP
OP
Eoth

Eoth

Bronco Guru

That is a good question. There is actually two different bends in it. For a skilled metalworker it probably would be pretty easy (I am not one of them). I figured that it could be used as a mold to make it out of fiberglass. But since I soaked it with "penetrating epoxy" it is pretty rigid and waterproof as-is... So at this point I am just going to use it as-is. Time will tell if I will go for ver 2.0.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
As for my kids, you all gave me a good chuckle.. I guess I could have staged the pic a little better. ;D

That being said, you have to toughen up these kids somehow (just don't tell my wife!).

I'm with you! One of the maiden voyages with my son in my Bronco, we were only running a family bikini top and a storm popped up. The water poured off the top and back in on his back- he laughed so hard- just loved it!

Attac

Contributor
I was thinking the same thing about the kids.

the first ride in my newly finished Bronco with only a bikini top that me, the wife and my two younger boys took, went something like this
Boys: looks like rain
Wife: Yep
Boys: What happens if it starts to rain, we don't have a roof back here
Wife: You get wet..;D

I sure love my wife.;)

Fallingcedar

Counting that as a prototype.

It was made with CAD (Cardboard Aided Design)

Come on... Cardboard and bunjee cords??? That has to count! I was one step away from pulling out the zip-ties.

You lost the redneck "there, I fixed it" status when you applied space age polymers and finish paint. Well done.

OP
OP
Eoth

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Well after several days of rain I can see that perhaps cardboard isnt the best choice for material (who would have thought?). looks like I am going to have to try out my metalworking skills (this should be interesting).... :p:p:p:p

trekgurl

Sun shines on my neck too,,

I think the youngn's, call it thinking outside the box,, nothing wrong with that kind of ingenuity cause that how the good ideas start coming together.

my Zip tied plywood top,,,,

yeah I went there,,getting too old to care, but it does what I need it to do until I figure out the next step.

Attachments

• Zip tie Plywood roof.jpg
    Zip tie Plywood roof.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 25

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Why not use Kydex? its easy to work with a heat gun and is plenty rigid and water proof. and its all ready black, no need to finish. You could even do the same with the urethane sheeting the roundy round guys use for body panels, cheap, durable and will hold shape. advantage to using either of these plastic alternatives is they are quieter than steel or aluminum.