• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Registering an out of state bronco that hasn't been registered in a long time...

gorf

I live in san diego, ca (originally from cincinnati, oh). In 2011, I purchased a bronco for restoration from cincinnati and garaged it with my father who is still in cincinnati. I have a signed and notorized title from ohio. Well life happened and the restoration is nearing completion. The vehicle hasn't been registered since i purchased it. I'd like to get it registered in CA and ideally drive it back from cincinnati to san diego.

Anybody dealt with something like this or can suggest a company to work with to help me get this figured out?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Personally, I would tell you to keep the OH registration. ;)

You will need the pink slip or owners paperwork. Bill of sale may not work? You will need to surrender old plates.
You need a Vin verification form filled out by CHP, or Local PD, or by the DMV. Forms are on line.
Vin tag must match the frame. Some question if they will even look, CHP are the most thorough, but if they do...
I believe there is a form for out of state transfer that needs filled out as well.
There are assorted fees...
My Reg cost for annual tags is up to about $180 for my 67.

The last Out of state I did was 10 years ago, and so someone who has recently done this may have updates.

If it is a 76 or 77 Bronco, all smog equipment must be in place and functioning, including a CAT. If so, you will then need a smog check prior to completing the registration change. An then Bi-annually there after...

GL Doug

OP
OP
G

gorf

Personally, I would tell you to keep the OH registration. ;)

You will need the pink slip or owners paperwork. Bill of sale may not work? You will need to surrender old plates.
You need a Vin verification form filled out by CHP, or Local PD, or by the DMV. Forms are on line.
Vin tag must match the frame. Some question if they will even look, CHP are the most thorough, but if they do...
I believe there is a form for out of state transfer that needs filled out as well.
There are assorted fees...
My Reg cost for annual tags is up to about $180 for my 67.

The last Out of state I did was 10 years ago, and so someone who has recently done this may have updates.

If it is a 76 or 77 Bronco, all smog equipment must be in place and functioning, including a CAT. If so, you will then need a smog check prior to completing the registration change. An then Bi-annually there after...

GL Doug

1969 bronco so at least I don't have smog to worry about. Is the verification of vin once in California? Anyway I can legally drive it from Ohio to California? (Thought about keeping it registered in Ohio but I understood California will hassle me)

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think easiest would be get all paperwork done in Cincinnati.

Then swap to CA.

wsager

Check into getting a temporary tag in Ohio. I’ve done this to travel from MI to FL. Wasn’t very expensive and nice piece of mind to know you are legal.

valveamp

I can tell you my experience with transferring 3 vehicles that originally belonged to my uncle, who passed away. One of the cars was a gift to my daughter while he was still alive. The other 2 were after he died, but my daughter was the executor of his estate and the vehicles were transferred from the estate to myself. In all 3 cases, we used the AAA to do the transfer. In all 3 cases, I had to bring the car to the AAA office and they visually verified the VIN. As mentioned, above, we had to do a smog test on 2 of the cars. The 3rd was a '49 Willys CJ3A, so it was exempt. In no case, did they look on the frame for a VIN, but these were newer cars, so I don't know if they have a frame VIN. Heck, they don't really even have a frame. The Jeep does have a frame, but they didn't look there and I don't know if the frame has a VIN on it. These cars came from TN to CA. In all cases, it was a quick and simple process. For the car prior to his death, we just had the signed title. For the vehicle after his death, we needed a letter from the probate court stating that my daughter was his executor and could, therefore, transfer the title. If you are a AAA member, I suggest you use them for the transfer.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since all the paperwork and the Bronco are in Ohio, and you have family there, I would start with the simple Ohio title. Once you have a title, you own it. Now a transfer to another state is easy.

If you bring everything thing into California it is likely to turn into a huge mess. Out of date out of state paperwork.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I rebuilt mine with a '67 body from CA and the '71 from from Idaho where I lived at the time. Once done, I met the DMV inspector with my box of paperwork, he inspected everything and approved it all. He then made me a door jamb tag with 2 VIN #'s to match the body and frame. This was in '94.

Fast forward to about '07 after I had moved to Oregon and decided to get it on the road. Had to drive to the state police office to have them inspect since they don't do 2 VIN tags. They issued me a new tag with 1 VIN. Just this last Saturday I get a letter from my insurance company stating that my VIN doesn't match what is on the paperwork. Second time this has happened. My saga continues 25 years later...

I suggest getting everything legal before moving it to CA. I had to deal with CA in my original building process and would not want to repeat that again.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
This could work. Anyone know what Ohio would require for me to do that, I.e. what would I need to show them?

Is Ohio DMV on-line? You could do a search... surely it would be easier there than the hoops CA puts us through?

I bought my F250 in Montana, registered it at property I co-owned with a HS buddy. When we sold the property, I had little choice but to Register it in CA. It was already 5 years old, so they did not try and zing me for sales tax. MT does not have sales tax, so if it is a relatively new vehicle this State wants their cut. VIN verification form was done at my local PD. Community service officer did it. Then I went to the DMV, which made me weigh my truck. They charged me for the weight and gave me a commercial plate. I was paying over $400 for annual Reg. back then... I shudder to think what I would have to pay today with Trucks costing $60K and up.

Great advice to get it Reg in Ohio and return here with current Ohio tags. The Ca State says you have to re-register you vehicle within 30 days once you move here. But who will know? Unless you get pulled over for a moving violation, have a neighbor that turns you in, you could run the Ohio tags until they expire.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Sign it over to and register it in your father's name in Ohio and drive it as a 'loaner from him'.

I am in Ohio and my daughter lives in Pa. She drives MY Jeep - I am on the title and paying for it - Pa. tried to say she had to register it there and get new plates, new registration, pay taxes, etc. I called the state police and explained it was MY vehicle (her name is NOWHERE on any paperwork) and I was lending it to her to use. The trooper said that should work fine, BUT if her name was on any ownership/loan paperwork, we would have to transfer it.

She did have to get insurance in Pa, though.

Worth investigating!!!

OP
OP
G

gorf

Good thoughts. Ohio won’t let me register unless I have a lease or buy property. Considering what I can do with my father.

Separately I’ve heard that ca can give a permit to drive it back. Anyone have any experience with it?

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Good thoughts. Ohio won’t let me register unless I have a lease or buy property. Considering what I can do with my father.

Separately I’ve heard that ca can give a permit to drive it back. Anyone have any experience with it?

Lease some property from your family ?
Like the spare bedroom

What state is your DL from ?

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Ohio will look at residency (most likely) for ownership/registration. This is why I suggested transferring ownership to a family member living in Ohio. Can be 'gifted' to that person which avoids paying sales tax, too - I had checked into that item when it looked like I might have to transfer my Jeep over to my daughter - saw no reason to pay tax for giving her a vehicle.

Again, worth investigating.

OP
OP
G

gorf

Ohio will look at residency (most likely) for ownership/registration. This is why I suggested transferring ownership to a family member living in Ohio. Can be 'gifted' to that person which avoids paying sales tax, too - I had checked into that item when it looked like I might have to transfer my Jeep over to my daughter - saw no reason to pay tax for giving her a vehicle.

Again, worth investigating.

Understood. I am investigating. Trying to make sure I understand all my options. Appreciate the insight.