• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

reinstalling guts to both doors

74bronk

Ok, just received bronco back from paint shop I want to start putting the doors back together. currently the window are still inside the door but removed from track. door to lock knob is still there the door latch still installed and the inside door handle. i bought new door handles for outside, door locks w/keys. looking for advice on installing everything....thinking the door latch i might remove it and replace it completely with everything else because it seems when you close the door now you have to push the lock down for it to catch otherwise you can just push on the door and it will open. thinking at this point replace all with new.......which brings me to one last thing is it possible to remove old glass and put new glass in with out having to cut the top frame of door off? and what about removing the vent glass window also?

any advice or insight or step by step instruction on how to reassemble the door would be very helpful!

Thanks

T.D.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
It's been a few years since I r and r'd doors but:

To remove glass you'll have to remove felt, and you have a good chance of needing new felt. There are a few posts on here re felt tricks, try google site search for that.

Door hardware was all pretty straight forward to me, but if you are having trouble just google images for an exploded view.

OP
OP
74bronk

74bronk

It's been a few years since I r and r'd doors but:

To remove glass you'll have to remove felt, and you have a good chance of needing new felt. There are a few posts on here re felt tricks, try google site search for that.

Door hardware was all pretty straight forward to me, but if you are having trouble just google images for an exploded view.

The felts have already been removed.

luke

Drop the window off the track and regulator. Then remove the wing window assembly while the other window is down inside the door. After the wing window is out, then u can remove the main glass.

luke

The main glass needs to be all the way at the bottom of the door though. It will just be sitting loose in there.

bobscott

Put a few layers of tape around the top of the main door body and around the frame also. The felts are backed with metal that is pretty sharp and will scratch your paint. I would also have someone else on hand to hold the other side of the felts while installing so they don't flop into the new paint.