• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reinstalling rear axle

D.R.Y.

Loc.
The Netherlands
HI A quick question before I proceed with re installing my rear axle and leaf springs..

Is it easier to first install the leaf spring then attach the axles to them.
or
assemble the axle and leaf springs then in re install onto farm?

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I also did leaf spring to frame then then I rolled the axle under. I did it by myself at it took about an hour. Not too bad!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Much easier to hang the springs first, then lift the rear end up to them with a floor jack, otherwise the rear just wants to dance around on the jack.

OP
OP
D

D.R.Y.

Loc.
The Netherlands
Got done, have everything bolted up loosely. Just need to cut off tops of u bolts.
Went pretty smooth took just under one hour.(post photo tomorrow)

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Your U-bolts should have been properly sized for the springs you used. You shouldn't cut the bolt heads off.

OP
OP
D

D.R.Y.

Loc.
The Netherlands
Thanks for the advice dave67fd.
I think they shipped me the extra long u bolts by mistake. So I have 3 1/2 - 4 inches of thread showing above each nut. (you can see it in the photos)

Attachments

• IMG_2425.jpg
    IMG_2425.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 33

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the advice dave67fd.
I think they shipped me the extra long u bolts by mistake. So I have 3 1/2 - 4 inches of thread showing above each nut. (you can see it in the photos)

With the longer U bolts I would be more concerned that you don't have enough thread length to properly torque them.

Did you buy them from one of the vendors here? Regardless, if they sent you the wrong bolts (unless you specified them) you/they should replace them.

camp9k

Just did this yesterday to pick up a tub/frame w/o axles...we wanted one on the back for loading...installed the frame mounted part of the leaf on first, the the shackle and like said before used a floor jack to move the spring into place and did the sprig to shackle last. BTW ...We did not have an axle on it at the time. Also...it sure helps when the Rancher you bought it from has a forklift you can use when your floor jack cant get it high enough to get your roller axle under! Good luck and check to see you got threads under your plates....

Attachments

• spring install.jpg
    spring install.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 22
  • wont fit.jpg
    wont fit.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 20
  • fork lift.jpg
    fork lift.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
D

D.R.Y.

Loc.
The Netherlands
Sweet.
I posted a picture of the u bolts.... Cut them down or not???

Attachments

• IMG_2435.JPG
    IMG_2435.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 21

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Dave67fd
Not always do the u bolts come to the exact size. I ordered some sero rate blocks to allow me to move my axel back 1.5" i also oredered new top plates and ublots at the same time from the same place. He uses u bolts with the correct diameter as the axel tube you specify but the threads run from stock height size and are long enough that if you are putting a 4" block or running thicker spring packs then you have enough the be able to use them. So if you have a bunch extra sticking up then you cut them off. The center pin that comes with the zero rate is extra long also. So they all need to be cut off