• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removable Window Frames on Doors

HorsePlay

Loc.
Middlesex, NJ
Hey guys,

I want to be able to remove the window frames on my doors for when the top is off. I think they were like that on 66-67 broncos,is that right? I have a 70 Bronco, now from what I understand, 66-67 doors will not work on a 70. So I have 2 options/questions
1. Can I modify my doors from the 70 to have the window frames removable, where I can still put them back on for use when the roof is on

2. Can I use a set of 66-67 doors on my bronco, what do I need to change?

I'm sure Im not the 1st person to think of this, can anybody help out?

Thanks!

Krawln68

Loc.
Newark, CA
You can try and find some earlier 68 doors like mine. Mine have the later hardware, but removable frames.

Jolly66

Loc.
Albuquerque
after 67 they're supposedly welded. On 66-67 they have screws instead of welding. So knock off the weld and start drilling.

R3

Loc.
VA
I recently chopped the frames off of a set of '76 doors that I'm planning to chop into roadster style doors. I went through the process of removing the frames intact in case I dont chop the doors and want to make the frames removable. It wasnt that hard; just a matter of drilling out 8 spot welds and a couple tacks on the inside corners of the frame where the frame meets the door. I had previously removed all the door hardware to take out the windows so there wasn't much crap in my way. However I'm not really sure if removing the padded window tracks that sit inside the window frame was a good idea. They were in pretty bad shape by the time I got them out; both from rust and from the beating they took in the removal process. Definetly not worth saving. Now if I want to put these frames back on I'm going to have buy new window tracks. From autokrafters the kit runs about $200 per door and it includes the back edge of vent channel, lower front door glass channel, lower rear door glass channel, door glass run, and beltline weatherstrip. My recommendation would definetly be to remove the frame with all that stuff intact. Depending on the condition of the doors it might be near impossible to get the window out without destroying at least one piece. And I think it would be a major pain in the ass to get the frames off with the window still in the door.

sorry bout the long post

just my 2 er 5 cents

yak67

Bronco Guru
OK, I have a '67 and want to remove the frames for the summer, my question is....are the wing windows all attached and just all come out together? Is it easy to put it all back together? thanks for posting this thread, I was thinking about trying it over the weekend to see how hard it is to do, the weather is getting nice up here during the day, so summer is getting here (soon I hope):cool:

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
My 72 had been in a rollover by the PO....The window frames have been welded on poorly and the doors have never closed right.I recently bought some removable frames and am planning to convert my doors to the removable frame type by drilling out the old welds.

It would be great if one of the bronco houses made replacement frames.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
I think TOMs Broncos made some removable door hinges if you would like to carry it a bit further, but as they said the early 66, 67 had the bolt type window/door frame.

Check also BC Broncos and see if Chucky might have something like that-

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Mike Hall said:
Anyone figure this out yet? i have a 72 that i want to make this mod to.

Mike

If you can find some '68 doors like mine that would be the cleanest way. As fas as I know the doors are all the same. They have two bolts on the the front and back of them and a screw below the wing window.

You might try the Broncoconnection
http://www.broncoconnection.net/

Bronco Sport

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D With all the work just pull the doors and put on cutouts and be done with it and you still have good doors for winter.:p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
My 68 has the removable frames too.
Just make sure you remove the glass when you take the frame out. Made that mistake once. Shut the door and what a mess.

What I'd really like to get is a set of lift off, soft door windows like on a half door heep. Just the top's of the soft doors.
Anyone ever seen anything like that?

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have thought about this a couple times and kinda decided that might rather have two sets of doors, one frameless/windowless, and one full. Get some quick remove hinges and go...like the rest, i like the look topless (grin) but the frame looks odd. another option, to kind of conceal the frame, is when i get my roll cage rebult, have a vertical support almost follow the window frame, and the top follow just above the frame. i've seen a few that do this and looks a little better without the hassel of multiple dors/fram parts.

Tenezman

Loc.
Monterey Bay
I have a 66 with 75 doors that came on mine and an extra set which were the original 66's...problem is the striker plate for the 66 is a small round post vs the larger ovals for the 75...so unless you offset the striker plate the 75's will come open unless you completely slam the door shut...the half cocked position slips over the round posts...so I got a set and a half of the wildchilds comin in the mail so that I can have the shaved for summer, go completely doorless, or the 75's with the damn frames that always come unwelded from vibration and too much slamming to prevent throwing out unsuspecting passengers...the 66 doors have no glass and have been filled in so there is no groove in the top...good luck..
C