• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removal off Spot Welds off the Tail light housing

Wyattman2015

Hi
I am new to cutting off body parts on my 71.
My question is when taking off the passenger rear lower quarter panel I see a metal plate that is right before the tail light housing and want to know how I get to the spot welds because there is only enough room to get a cutting wheel in there. The plate looks like I would hang the new quarter on it and weld it to that plate.
Also and when I install the lower quarter am I spot welding to that metal plate ?

Any help would be appreciated as I do not want to cut that plate out if it is necessary!

Thank you
Robert

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Are you replacing the tail light extension? Or just the lower quarter panel? If just the quarter then cut away the quarter panel skin about a quarter inch from the seam and remove enough to allow access to that pinch weld area drill , grind , spot weld cutter , what ever it takes. I have Blair spot weld cutters, the cheap garner freight spot weld cutter, a drill bit , 13 inch belt file, die grinders strait , angle, extra reach , and in-line style ,, and have used all one time or another…… and after you get all cleaned fitted and ready to plug weld together the the layers will need to clamp an plug welded together .

OP
OP
W

Wyattman2015

Are you replacing the tail light extension? Or just the lower quarter panel? If just the quarter then cut away the quarter panel skin about a quarter inch from the seam and remove enough to allow access to that pinch weld area drill , grind , spot weld cutter , what ever it takes. I have Blair spot weld cutters, the cheap garner freight spot weld cutter, a drill bit , 13 inch belt file, die grinders strait , angle, extra reach , and in-line style ,, and have used all one time or another…… and after you get all cleaned fitted and ready to plug weld together the the layers will need to clamp an plug welded together .
Hi, Just the lower quarter. Thanks for the info. The problem I am having is there is a plate without any welds in it and it is about 1/4 inch in front of the tail light housing ( looks like that is where I hang the lower quarter panel) and I need to get behind that plate to get to the spot welds on the tail light housing. Hopefully that makes sense.
Thanks
Robert