• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Remove engine and support 435NP trans?

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What is the best way to support the monster 435NP trans when you remove the motor. I need the EB to be a roller so it can get some other items done. I was thinking a ratchet strap. Nut sure is a 2x4 between the rails is possible. Thanks in advance. BI

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe a 2x4 on top of the tunnel and wrap the strap around the transmission, push it up through the shifter hole and wrap it around the 2x4.
Or anything strong enough to hold it while strapped to the floor.

The frame would certainly work, but you’d have to find or fabricate something that’s the right shape and size.
Otherwise, I don’t think the frame is the right height for something that’s just straight.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
When I had a NP435 in my truck and pulled the old engine to do the 5.0 swap in the last century, I used a 2x4 as well. Worked great!

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I totally ignored the fact that you were removing the motor when I talked about strapping it to the tunnel.
While that might work, I think it’s too far back.
My advice for a quick engine removal would be to definitely leave the bell housing on the transmission initially. Then use one of the top bolt holes, or a couple of them, and run a strap up to a board laid across the top.
I’ve done it by hooking a strap to the bellhousing, and just letting the other hook lay on the cowl under the hood.
That works great for the relatively lightweight stock three speed, but I’m not sure I trust it alone for a 435.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
I totally ignored the fact that you were removing the motor when I talked about strapping it to the tunnel.
My advice for a quick engine removal would be to definitely leave the bell housing on the transmission initially. Then use one of the top bolt holes, or a couple of them, and run a strap up to a board laid across the top.
I’ve done it by hooking a strap to the bellhousing, and just letting the other hook lay on the cowl under the hood.
That works great for the relatively lightweight stock three speed, but I’m not sure I trust it alone for a 435.
What is the best way to support the monster 435NP trans when you remove the motor. I need the EB to be a roller so it can get some other items done. I was thinking a ratchet strap. Nut sure is a 2x4 between the rails is possible. Thanks in advance. BI

I just finished my 306 install so I can definitely agree with Dirt, just leave the bellhousing with the 435 and pull only the motor.. Important tip to share: I loosened the bolts to the cross member and lifted the 435 up a few inches with a transmission jack. Doing this was the only way that I was able to install the new engine, as it gets the engine and transmission on the same plane quickly and with far less muscle applied.

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks DD. With my age nothing is "quick" for me these days. LOL

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I believe all us Bronco Guys are getting long in the tooth.
I couldn't wait to get retired. But now that I am. I'm too old to get anything done.
But I'm still fixing my stuff.