• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Remove Trans from Bell housing or Bell housing from engine?

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
I’m removing a 4 speed top loader trans. Is it better to remove the trans from the bell housing first, or take out together? So far, I’ve already got the D20 out and the cross member bolts out. The 4 bolts from the back of the trans into the bell housing came out easy, but it’s not budging, I’m wondering if I should try and remove it as one piece.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
either way works ,, possible input bearing retainer has tight interferrance with bell housing or rusted ,, or possible input shaft or is stuck on clutch disk spines … may just take a little more persuasion the way your doing I now..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Having done it both ways, I find removing the bellhousing from the engine works best for me. Going in as well as coming out.
Once the input shaft is free of the clutch you have a lot more wiggle room. If the bellhousing stays on the engine, the trans has to come further back to clear the hole.
Add in you will generally be at least inspecting the clutch while you are in there, the bellhousing will have to come off anyway.

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Having done it both ways, I find removing the bellhousing from the engine works best for me. Going in as well as coming out.
Once the input shaft is free of the clutch you have a lot more wiggle room. If the bellhousing stays on the engine, the trans has to come further back to clear the hole.
Add in you will generally be at least inspecting the clutch while you are in there, the bellhousing will have to come off anyway.
Appreciate it. I will be replacing and upgrading to a new transmission, so it’s got to come off too.