• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing distributor gear

g-money

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I am doing my EFI swap and need to swap Dist gears. I took the pin out of the gear but can't get the gear off. Does it just slide off the bottom? I have tried mildly but don't want to force it if I am not sure.

Also, the EFI Dist is a bit longer. DO I just cut some off the bottom?

Thanks,
Galen

siderbox

Bronco Guru
It's more like 'press off'. But yes it does come off the bottom. The best way is to support the gear and press out the shaft.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
We just took one off a mustang dizzy w/ remote tfi module the other day.

It was stubborn. Getting the pin out isn't so bad but driving the gear off is easier with a puller.

If you are trying to drive it off, make sure you use a peice of wood so that you don't distort the end of the distributor shaft.

Support the gear evenly on both sides so that when you hit it, equal force is being applied on the gear.

My advise, find a puller that will work...it's much safer and easier.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
use a press. It is a press fit and a press is much easier to get the gear where you want it on the re install