• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing door skins

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
4.5 in disc grinder down the side edge with some 36 grit. you aren't reusuing it, so it's a matter of what gets it off quick and easy without tearing up the inner skin.
use something (spot weld cutter, zizz wheel) to take the couple tacks off the flanges, grind the welded areas around the hinges. once you grind the edges off you can just peel back whats left.

besure to prime the flanges and inside of the inner skin before you put your new skin on. weld through primer is choice for flange areas.hth
N

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
4.5 in disc grinder down the side edge with some 36 grit. you aren't reusuing it, so it's a matter of what gets it off quick and easy without tearing up the inner skin.
use something (spot weld cutter, zizz wheel) to take the couple tacks off the flanges, grind the welded areas around the hinges. once you grind the edges off you can just peel back whats left.

besure to prime the flanges and inside of the inner skin before you put your new skin on. weld through primer is choice for flange areas.hth
N

Dang Nick is on the ball, was gonna say the same thing. You can use cold galv as a weld through primer (basically the same stuff) and it is sometimes cheaper... you can find it at Home Depot and Lowes if need be.

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
thanks guys. I appericiate the advice. Nick, I will save that skin for you.

302fix

Contributor
I'm looking to do this also.

Is it possible to re-skin a door when it is still bolted on?

I've got my doors to shut pretty good now and don't want to go through door alignment again if I can avoid it.

302fix

Contributor
Anybody skin doors while they were still on or should I just take them off at the door sire of the hinge?

broncokak

Bronco Guru
My buddy Todd made a jig to hold the door while he skinned it. Just some square stock and placed to bolt the foor to it where the hinges are and the where the window track bolts go on the stike side. He removes the skin just as Nick does but he glues the new skin on...no welding. He's working on a set of doors now and I have to do mine sometime this summer too.

Sorry for the crappy cel phone picture...

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 31

302fix

Contributor
Anybody skin doors while they were still on or should I just take them off at the door sire of the hinge?

NOPE. You need to take the door off to slip the hinge through the opening.