• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing door window frames

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
My door window frames have never been quite right.My bronco was obviously in a rollover at some point and the frames were poorly welded.

I recently picked up a pair of the removable pre-69? frames that bolt in.Has anyone here switched to the removable frames?

Any tips on getting the old ones out?

Thanks all

Mark in Memphis

I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but I've got a similar question. Is there an easy way to make the window frames on my 75 removable. Come to think of it, a sawzall will make them removable but that's not the problem. How do I make them easily replaceable?

1970WagonKY

Loc.
Winchester, KY
unscrew

Question 1
If i remember correctly for the pre-69 (my dad had a '67 we used to do this to years ago) is you undo two or so bolts per door. One bolt at each end of the door.

Question 2
Cutting is the only option for later doors. Which I am sure you do not want to do.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
There is a way to convert your later doors to bolt ons, although I lost the link to the web article that walked you through how to do it. The jest of it is that there are several spot welds that you drill out after removing all of your window internals. Once the spot welds are gone, drill the holes in the door and frame big enough to fit some nuts and bolts through and voila! Removeable frames. I have not done this personally, but have searched aimlessly for that tech article for the past couple of years after seeing it shortly after buying my Bronco and not realizing the coolness factor of the removeable frames.

OP
OP
B

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
Re: unscrew

1970WagonKY said:
Question 1
If i remember correctly for the pre-69 (my dad had a '67 we used to do this to years ago) is you undo two or so bolts per door. One bolt at each end of the door.

Question 2
Cutting is the only option for later doors. Which I am sure you do not want to do.

On the pre 69 frames that I have there are 3 bolts at the back and 2 in front.

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Is there a manufacture that makes stainless steel replacements?

I have fiberglass doors and want to make the frames removable. The fiberglass ones are not that durable. Anyone know of one? If not stainless do they sell "new" replacements for the earlier bolt ons?

Thanks,

Ed

hakstooy

Loc.
Alexandria, VA
I know MrCat removed his and when I asked him about it he said its a matter of drilling out the few spot welds and then a lot of smoothing and such.

OP
OP
B

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
Re: Is there a manufacture that makes stainless steel replacements?

77bronco_ed said:

I have fiberglass doors and want to make the frames removable. The fiberglass ones are not that durable. Anyone know of one? If not stainless do they sell "new" replacements for the earlier bolt ons?

Thanks,

Ed

I e-mailed Dennis Carpenter a while back when I was first considering this mod they said that they had no plans to make replacement door window frames. It seems to me that there would definitly be a market for them due to rust and rollovers.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Re: Re: Is there a manufacture that makes stainless steel replacements?

broncoswede61 said:
I e-mailed Dennis Carpenter a while back when I was first considering this mod they said that they had no plans to make replacement door window frames. It seems to me that there would definitly be a market for them due to rust and rollovers.

what about manufacturing our own..they dont look that comples....I might give it a go a somepoint....match my stainless windshield frame.

OP
OP
B

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
Re: Re: Re: Is there a manufacture that makes stainless steel replacements?

HotWheels said:
what about manufacturing our own..they dont look that comples....I might give it a go a somepoint....match my stainless windshield frame.

Hey I've thought about it.....unfortunatly my bronco time is very limited these days :(