• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing gear shifter on Auto column

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
How do you remove the gear shifter on a automatic column?

I need to take the dash off but can figure out how to remove the shifter.

Thank you

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
WOW I was doin this same thing and went to drive the pin out at the base of the lever and had to stop I thought I was gonna brake the plastic shift selector off (PRND21)I guess because it (roll pin)had never been out?

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
So just tap the pin out? Can I tap it out either way or does it only go one way?

bigjhoov

nobody
If it's a stock pin it should be tapered to come out one way I think. Should be knurled on one end and that keeps it in place.

bc1974

Just put mine in and it went in from the bottom so I would say it would be safe to come out the bottom

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Hey guys, been working in the garage all day. Yes, we did finally get it out. Had to soak in pbblaster for several hours and then bang the crap out of it and it finally came loose.

Thanks for the help guys.

fetorino

Loc.
Orange, CA
What a bummer

Hey guys, been working in the garage all day. Yes, we did finally get it out. Had to soak in pbblaster for several hours and then bang the crap out of it and it finally came loose.

Thanks for the help guys.

The roll pin in mine came out with a couple taps on a punch. At least you got it out. Pulling the dash was more of a PITA then I thought it would be. Those screws under the windshield were the bitch for me.

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
The roll pin in mine came out with a couple taps on a punch. At least you got it out. Pulling the dash was more of a PITA then I thought it would be. Those screws under the windshield were the bitch for me.

Lucky for me, those screws where not in mine :)