• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

removing roll on bed liner

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Has anybody here had any clue how to remove a roll on type bed liner. the PO put it all over. On the bottom of the door and tail gate on the outside. The entire bed including the inside of the rear fender tail gate adn door jams. I have seen rust dust around some of the bolts and a very hollow sound when taping the door jams. I dont know how much repair is needed. Do i take the time a grind it away an try to repair it? find a donor tub? go fiberglass?:-[

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I got a lot of it off using paint stripper in a aerosol can from the Doodlebug.

doghauler

Loc.
Western WA State
I second the chemical type remover and scraper. My experience using a grinder or wire wheel just heats it up and smudges it, clogs up the wheel, etc, basically makes a mess....of course the chemical stuff does too...good luck.

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
I recently had a 5gal gas can leak while I was driving and found that it caused my Line-X to lift. It didn't leak much and affected an area about 1 square foot. It would be expensive(cost of fuel these days) but it did work well. Something to think about anyway.

Rob

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Go to the auto body /paint store and get a gallon of AIRCRAFT STRIPPER.

It is really hot and will remove almost anything fast. I bet it would lift the liner.

Nice thing about that stuff, water deactivates it, so when you start washing iut out it quits working.

I bought a galon one time that was a second use. They had scraped it up and put it back in the can. It had paint and body filler in it, but it still stripped off three layers of of paint. !955, 1962, and 1971 in one application.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I just did mine with a gasket scraper and elbow grease. But mine was coming out with the pressure washer, so it wasn't stuck too well to start with.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
x2 on the aircraft stripper. get an edge and work a bit at a time. Have a can or a metal edge to scrape your scraper on periodically. Scoop out the lifted stuff often to keep it as clean as possible. Acetone will reactivate the stuff sometimes so you could scrape after applying that.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I read somewhere that power steering fluid will soften it up as well. You might try giving rhinoliner a call and see what they reccommend.

Itsa67

Contributor
I'd go with the aircraft stripper and putty knife. I can't imagine any of the brush on liners standing a chance against it. Definitely buy yourself some chemical resistant gloves though cause that stuff hurts if you get it on your skin (I've got a scar to prove it).

tim70

Loc.
SF Bay, CA
I tackled the same project last year. Mine was covered with (I think) the duplicolor liner. It was more plastic that rubbery like rhinolining. I tried chemical stripping, grinder, heat gun, hand scraping, needle gun and air chisel. The chemical stripper made ALOT of mess and the truck was already painted, so I didn't use that as my primary method. The grinder and heat gun softened the liner to a point where it actually fused better with the sheet metal.

A combination of the hand scraping, needle gun and air chisel worked best. Since it wasn't rubbery, it chipped up pretty well. It took about a total of 15 hours over 6-8 weekends. Really noisy. Luckily the neighbors were forgiving.

tim70

Loc.
SF Bay, CA
If you go with a chemical stripper, make sure you have plenty of ventilation, apply only the amount needed for the area you can reasonably work on and consider wearing an respirator with organic vapor cartridges. Most of that stuff affects the nervous system pretty easily.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did an entire bed using a MAPP gas torch. (similar to propane, but burns way hotter) It bubbled up and then I scraped it off with a putty knife. I's try the stripper first, then if that doesn't work...use the MAPP gas. You can get it at any hardware store.

Blue71

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I too just did this on my tub, the PO had it everywhere! Really doesn't take that long at all to remove with the Aircraft Stripper. If it's hot outside I would recommend applying some stripper, then covering it with saran wrap and let it set for 15 - 20 min. I first covered my frame and running gear with heavy plastic and the covered the tires with really large trash bags. Hosed it of when I was done then swept it up the next day. Good luck!

Itsa67

Contributor
Heat works great for removing undercoat so I suppose it would be good for bedliner too but be careful cause a lot of that stuff is flammable. Definitely would want a fire extinguisher nearby. If you do try using the aircraft stripper I would recommend going over everything first with some 24 grit sandpaper to give the stripper more surface area to bite into...it really helps but might not be feasible with the bedliner if it loads the paper up to quickly. Good luck and be safe.

OP
OP
Ethansdad73

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Well i guess i am not alone, thanks for all the sugestions. I think that i will use the aircraft stuff and hope that my baby is not as rusty as i think it may be. But it spent most of its life in WA state. Now that i am in FL. I need to make sure that it does not get any worse. thanks for your help.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
That aircraft stripper is pretty nasty stuff.......try this first....find out what coating your up against then find out what is used as its thinner.....
example Durabak thinner is xylene....guess what I had a lil drips and overspray in a few places...got a towel soaked in xylene.. wipped right off.

Just a note on how tough that stuff is I had a lil marble size drop of durabak smooth fall out of the end of the roller on a bare spot in a place I intend on using the durabak with grit....I left it on pupose its large enough to get a thumb and finger grip on it....well nobodys broke it loose yet.

I also know that aircraft stripper will not remove stickers or eat at em...might not work on a polyurethane type coating either....remember some of these coatings are also chemical resistant...it may just wash off.

spennyluv

Loc.
bay area
Air craft stripper is expensive put it under a heat gun and scrape away comes right up well for me it did good luck and plan on spending a lot of time getting it out.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Since my last post I found that POR now puts out a stripper.....always been pleased with POR stuff!