• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing Shackle Bushings

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What is the easiest way to remove rear leaf spring, shackle bushings? I've always struggled with them, and usually just change the spring bushings and leave the shackle bushings in place for another day:). Any quick tips?

Thanks,

Blue71

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Easiest, burn them out with a torch. I used a drill with a bit slightly smaller than the rubber thickness and drilled multiple holes in the rubber, till I could drive the sleeve out. Cleaned up the rest with a course file.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
Kroil, BFH and a drift have worked - also jigsaw (or hacksaw) with long bi-metal blade - slice the bushing - careful to not slice the spring eye.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Easiest, burn them out with a torch. I used a drill with a bit slightly smaller than the rubber thickness and drilled multiple holes in the rubber, till I could drive the sleeve out. Cleaned up the rest with a course file.

X3, I actually found this out by accident, but eventually i just took em outside, lit em up w/ the acetylene, and let em burn, it was pretty cool to watch, eventually it got hot and it just pushed the bushing out by itself. Just dont breathe the fumes, they stink, and they burn.

Grant

Carl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, IL
I tried the press method, but it didn't work for me. Then I used a small propane or mapp gas torch (I can't remember which) from the hardware store and burned them out. The center part fell out in no time.

Get a hacksaw and cut through the outer metal part to loosen it up. Then drive it out with a punch and hammer. This was super easy for me.

Or I guess if you don't have a torch, just use a jig saw or hack saw for both metal parts. Then drive them out with a punch.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
not sure if you will run into this or not but when i did my shackle bushings I had to remove the outer sleeve that fits right inside the shackle. My new prothane bushings fit directly into the shackle and don't need the outer sleeve.

Since the sleeve was completely rusted in, I had to use a hacksaw blade to cut a channel in the sleeve so I could use a socket to then press it out. I put the shackle into a vice then took the blade off the saw, slipped it through the shackle then re-attached it to the saw so I could cut inside the cylinder. I have some pictures of this if you need them.