• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

removing smog equipment

t2jeff

Loc.
Playa Del Rey, CA
Great news this fall from the CA DMV. My 75 302 no longer needs the dreaded smog tests!!

Now, I want to take off everything I no longer need. (original clunky air filter, air pump, all the goodies that go with the air pump) What else can go? I want to clean up the engine compartment a little....Can I plug those air injectors into I think its the head with just a common bolt? I think the air pump can come right off and just remove the belt???? Any thing I am forgetting?

One last thing, looks like minimal room for a aftermarket air filter. What is everyone else running? Got a stock carb.................

Thanks!
Jeff

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
We used to use pipe plugs on the exhaust smog holes but its been too long ago to remeber the size. I have an Edelbrock air cleaner on mine, about 10 inches or so. Uses regular Fram filters. One problem you may run into when you remove the EGR is a light throttle ping becasue of more vacuum to the distributer. I belive an 1/8 inch allen wrench in the hole where the vacuum hose goes will restrict the advance

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Don't throw anything away. It seems every year someone's trying to turn back your exemption. Also keep in mind that even tho you don't need to pass regular inspections it is still illegal for you to remove any smog equipment, and it always will be.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Skuzzlebutt said:
Don't throw anything away. It seems every year someone's trying to turn back your exemption. Also keep in mind that even tho you don't need to pass regular inspections it is still illegal for you to remove any smog equipment, and it always will be.

party pooper!! :p

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll be thinking of you when I roll my 75 through the AZ emmisions and they get to look at my smog pump which is right where an AC compressor would fit so nicely.

I would listen to the guy that said they may change it back one day. Whyen they stop shutting power plants down in CA and start building new ones, tear it all out.

Jeff in AZ

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Removing stuff here in CA is still a big No, No but if you do at least keep all the bolts, pieces and tag all the parts. A few photos wouldn't hurt eithor. Most of the smog damage is not external except for belt load the biggest factors are the timing curve in the dist. and the retarded cam. the only other big factor is the drop in compression. None of these issues have a cheap and easy fix.

PhantomEB

Loc.
Calgary, Alberta
What about that big coffee can thing thats in my 90 F150. I have always wanted to take this off for room for a second battery in there.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Other then the air filter, there isn't anything that will help it run better by removing it. Pulling the smog pump and belt might free up a horsepower. Pulling the EGR will lower your gas mileage. With the exception of maybe a nice air filter, I would just leave everything hooked up. The carb and distributor are all tuned for the emissions stuff. If you remove the stuff, the curves won't be right. What ever you do, make sure to save the parts. You may have to put them back on after a random smog check.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I would love to tell you to remove it all but since your in Kommiefornia I'd keep it. While illegal to remove most of it really doesnt hurt you but if you are taking it off replace it with CARB legal parts for 1975 year models that way if you ever inspected they really cant say anything as long as you have the CARB stickers for the parts

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
A lot of the states are like that. But......just because they dont check your emissions doesnt mean they cant inspect it for missing parts. In VA that's what they did. I also think that regardless of age, and whether the state runs emissions, that it is a violation of EPA rules and you can be fined - personally.

PhantomEB

Loc.
Calgary, Alberta
Good thing I am in Canada where only areas such as Vancouver I beleive has emissions laws.

Since I am more concerned about my 90 F150 that has a 351EFI in it, I think I gonna start unplugging stuff one at at time to see what happens. I know the Smog pump and the AC is coming out and headers with dual Flowmasters are going in.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Junk Driver said:
Good thing I am in Canada where only areas such as Vancouver I beleive has emissions laws.

Since I am more concerned about my 90 F150 that has a 351EFI in it, I think I gonna start unplugging stuff one at at time to see what happens. I know the Smog pump and the AC is coming out and headers with dual Flowmasters are going in.

I don't think the AC is considered smog equipment ;D

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Pipe plugs work on the air pump mine came off in 72 that was about all it had beeing a 66. On the cars I had in Ca. the egr makes them run a little better when pluged. And a few years had the stinken nox thing it also sucked. And as mine didnt come with cat's no problem. But dont get rid of the stuff you mite need it. As you have a actor running the state and the last actor tha did that realey f@#$ it up. Good luck. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

DownhillManiac99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orange County CA
Im in the exact situation, 75 in CA with a 302. This past Saturday I removed the air pump and plugged two (?) lines. I must say it runs a hell of a lot better and has a bit more giddy up. As everyone said keep it in a box:
dsc004060sr.jpg

asabadin

Loc.
L.A.CALI NO THIEVES
I recently did this on my 75 with scott from american bronco. we used grade 8 bolts and red lock tight. seems to be fine. at the same time i added a weiand stealth manifold, q-jet, ford racing valve covers, 13 inch drop base ford racing air cleaner, and a hei distributor. wow what a difference.

the pain in the ass part is getting the smog pump off. There was a bolt on mine that required me to cut it off or take out the radiator what a p.i.t.b.!!!!!!!

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Man, those california rules suck!!
I have to agree with everybody, including junkdriver great to live in the frozen North, you cannot remove much without affecting the motor in an adverse way.
To get the thing to run right the following must be changed or altered.

The carb (change out or severely rework)
the intake manifold (change, not worth working on)
the exhaust manifolds (rework or change, good excuse for headers)
the distributor (change or rework, change is easier)
the camshaft (definitely change, the present grind sucks)

to do this and get something more when your done you have to do the above at a minimum. other changes may be required, as in the ignition module and related goodies.

TOFIC

DownhillManiac99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orange County CA
asabadin said:
I recently did this on my 75 with scott from american bronco. we used grade 8 bolts and red lock tight. seems to be fine. at the same time i added a weiand stealth manifold, q-jet, ford racing valve covers, 13 inch drop base ford racing air cleaner, and a hei distributor. wow what a difference.

the pain in the ass part is getting the smog pump off. There was a bolt on mine that required me to cut it off or take out the radiator what a p.i.t.b.!!!!!!!

I will be doing the same once I get my non EGR manifold from Scotty. Already have a carb and filter, valve covers are sitting on my floor, and my distributor is going to be reworked also. ;D Treehuggers do suck!