• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing smog stuff from EFI engine

fastcarkenny

Loc.
Avondale, AZ
Thought I would ask all of you. I am installing an EFI motor in my 66, and I want to know what I need to do with the sensors if I want to remove all of the emissions controls from the engine.

What do you guys think? Should I leave the EGR and keep it simple, or would it be easy enough to take it off and fool the sensors into thinking everything is normal?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
If you are using the Explorer intake with the EGR in the manifold, I would just leave the emissions stuff intact. If it has an external EGR tube, axe it.

OP
OP
fastcarkenny

fastcarkenny

Loc.
Avondale, AZ
I have an 89 mustang GT HO motor, so it has the external EGR, so I have the ability to loose the garbage! ;D BUT, what will that cause the computer to do if I leave that stuff unplugged?

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
fordfuelinjection.com has a plug that you can use for that exact purpose. I have one on mine and have no issues with codes.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I would leave the EGR on..

you can remove the Air pump & Tab & tad.

I would keep the purge valve..

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have an 89 mustang GT HO motor, so it has the external EGR, so I have the ability to loose the garbage! ;D BUT, what will that cause the computer to do if I leave that stuff unplugged?

Mustang had internal EGR. External or internal refers to the routing of the exhaust gases. The valves and solenoids are always on the outside.

OP
OP
fastcarkenny

fastcarkenny

Loc.
Avondale, AZ
here's another question. What do you guys do for the check engine light?? I mean, do you have an LED on the dash or anything indicating when there is an issue?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
here's another question. What do you guys do for the check engine light?? I mean, do you have an LED on the dash or anything indicating when there is an issue?

I have an LED mounted above the brake warning light. You don't need one but it makes code reading easier and will tell you if there is a critical problem. If you eliminate EGR you will need to do something to keep the light from coming on.

OP
OP
fastcarkenny

fastcarkenny

Loc.
Avondale, AZ
it sounds like I can use the block off plate and the EGR eliminator from RJM or fuelinjection.com and be on my way with that. It also sounds like I can ditch the tab and tad modules.

If I leave the EGR intacked, I guess I could just loop the lines back together, but whats the point of that?

Viper, you have me wondering whats up with my motor now. I have 2 lines that run form the crossover tube on the back of the head up to the air pump and back. Thats fishy, but if I can dump all of the smog junk, I think it will be fine anyway.

Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate it!! I will go ahead and plop an LED in the dash for piece of mind. I will put all of the resistors in place to keep the check engine light from coming on...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Viper, you have me wondering whats up with my motor now. I have 2 lines that run form the crossover tube on the back of the head up to the air pump and back. Thats fishy, but if I can dump all of the smog junk, I think it will be fine anyway.

That's all part of the air pump system. You can get rid of that and plug the ports in the back of the heads.

Ranchtruck

Air injection does nothing motor performance wise, EGR does. You can advance the timing more during lean cruise with EGR on, and get better MPG's out of it. I would keep the EGR working, Purge control for the EVAP system costs you nothing and burns the gas tank vapors in the engine that would have otherwise vented to the air.

The air injection is a sham, and the amount of plumbing involved makes it a great candidate for removal. Ditch it and don't look back.

OP
OP
fastcarkenny

fastcarkenny

Loc.
Avondale, AZ
This is a stupid question, but where is the purge valve? I cant find a picture of it, and the diagram has a pretty vague location... Thanks for your advice!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
This is a stupid question, but where is the purge valve? I cant find a picture of it, and the diagram has a pretty vague location... Thanks for your advice!

It's not on the engine. On the mustangs they were in the front passenger corner of the engine bay near the charcoal canister.

OP
OP
fastcarkenny

fastcarkenny

Loc.
Avondale, AZ
Thank you sir. I must not have one in the mess of wires and plugs that I have. never know, I might dig down to it yet!!