• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

removing smog stuff off my 75 302?

Thunder Chicken

In an attempt to increase my horse power i want to remove the smog emissions stuff that is on my 1975 302.

Will i simply be taking the smog stuff off and fire her back up, or will it cause issues that have to be resolved in some way? i am completly new to this so excuse the newbie question

MY rig is totally stock as it sits right now.

Any advise/wisdom from the Bronco gods is greatly appreciated!!

techlaf

Contributor
I've got the same totally stock '75 302. All the smog equipment does make working on the engine a bit more difficult, but from searching old posts and asking around most people say leave it on. Horsepower rating methods were changed in the early to mid 70's so listings of HP showing more HP on earlier no smog 289's and 302's is misleading. From what I've been told, dyno a stock '72 302 and our stock '75 302 and there would really be very little hp difference. Even hearing this several times, my friends '70 289 w/ 33"s seems to get up and go much quicker than mine with 30" tires and same gearing?

I've researched this a bit and the consensus seems to be: you can take the smog equipment off, but make sure you hold on to it as these parts are getting harder to find and never take the Cat Conv. off. '75 seems to be a transition year where smog may be required in certain states, but you're usually safe with an earlier year as long as you have the Cat. on there.

I've also been pondering, should it stay or should it go?

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
No God here, but just from experience. The problem lies deeper than the smog stuff you see. Doubtful you would see any gain at all. A good tuning would probably gain you more than removing the emissions parts. HP increase is in direct proportion to money spent. Recurving the distributor will gain a little as would diff. intake, carb, exhaust.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Simply unhooking the emissions stuff will likely cause it to run worse, get worse mileage and no more power.

There are way more things that make "smog" engines low on power then just a few things bolted on the outside. Actually the stuff bolted on the outside does little to how the engine runs. Cam, carb and timing are the things that will make a difference.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have a '77 and have found that if you want to remove anything except the thermactor (air injection) you will need to change a lot since the cam, carb, and distributor, and EGR are made to work in harmony.
Things I have found with my '77 are:
1) The biggest part of the emission equipment is the cam.
2) These late model carbs are so lean that you can't advance the timing without rejetting.
3) The EGR will actually keep the car from pinging and will run cooler with it. (unless you change the cam when you remove the EGR)
4) Thermactor is pooter and should be trashed unless you're required to have it!

OP
OP
T

Thunder Chicken

Well thats why i asked

if i have learned one thing about these broncos its that nothing is that simple sounds like a little inconveience of having that stuff in my way may be worth it in the long run.....

was hoping to just make some room under the hood as much as anything but am rethinking it now

thanks much guys!!