• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing Tcase drive gear from spud shaft...@#$%& snap ring

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
I know this ring is always a PITA, Ive taken several off with 3 screwdrivers and alot of luck, usually end up butchering the ring. Im working on one now that is really tough. In theory, there is a pair of snap ring pliers out there somewhere that will make this easier. Im really at the point of just buying them. Anybody have a craftsman # or a pic of what such pliers look like???

TIA

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Are you reffering to the front output? If so, you can use a big chisel and wedge the bearing forward and use regular snapring pliers. I would suggest a new bearing then, but was pretty easy once the bearing slid forward a inch or two.

OP
OP
agent_orange_71

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
I was referring to the ring on that holds the gear on the case input shaft. I finally got it off with an extra set of hands. Dunno why this one was so tough. Yet another butchered ring though. %) Ill get the hang of this someday.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
malcolmzilla said:
I just did this with one pair of hands, dunno how but the snap ring survived.
Now to reassemble it all. %)
BRAGGART!!!

Some guys just get plain lucky!! and you are one of the blessed ones
The rest of us have to work and sweat and swear at ours. LOL

TOFIC

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Here's how I did mines...

The pliers I had was just too small...

Attachments

• DSC00733.jpg
    DSC00733.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00734.jpg
    DSC00734.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00736.jpg
    DSC00736.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00737.jpg
    DSC00737.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00738.jpg
    DSC00738.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 16

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
I'll take what I can get, everything else I have drastically underestimated.

Hey, back to the topic, do the bearings need to be heated to be pressed on? ?:? Mine tapped off easy enough.