• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing the top....Brace window frame??

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So its hotter then hell here and thinking about removing the top tonight for the first time. I read through the articles here for tips on removal but didnt see anything on bracing the window.

Is it necessary and if so what are the easy options for bracing?

I do have a family cage and have seen the braces sold by the vendors. Are there other options though?

House

Minutia Militia
You can brace it if you want, and probably a good idea to eventually, but it is not necessary.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Necessary? We don't need no stinking braces! Unless the rig is a total rust bucket it's not like the windshield frame is going to flop back into your lap but it might.;D The main thing the braces do are to keep the frame position correct to line up with the doors. Not to far forward and not to far back. You could weld on a simple metal brace or head to your local hardware store for some cheap turnbuckles but you can guess our preference. We'd be happy to drop a set in the mail for you, they are on special this month.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Windshield_Braces/Off-Road_Roll_Bar

Attachments

• 4747_297_popup.jpg
    4747_297_popup.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well now that was easy.

Was pretty propular at Cars and Coffee too.

and Jim, I may call this week to order the brace.

Thanks,

Attachments

• photo (81).jpg
    photo (81).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 84
  • photo (82).JPG
    photo (82).JPG
    148 KB · Views: 76

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well now that was easy.

Was pretty propular at Cars and Coffee too.

and Jim, I may call this week to order the brace.

Thanks,
You have one steep driveway, no wonder you need a bronco...

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have one steep driveway, no wonder you need a bronco...

Haha, so I had the driveway leveled out over the weekend. Much better now.

Attachments

• No top.jpg
    No top.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 35

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
I removed my top and wondered the same thing. It's not loose or anything but when driving I can't help but notice the rear veiw mirror shaking a little bit. I installed a bikini top and that helped a lot. It puts a little tension on the frame and holds it snug.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run a set of turnbuckles braced off of my cage. Found them in the hardware section at Lowe's for about $8.

I picked mine up at Home Depot last night, will try and get them in tonight. Thanks,