• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing Transmission Question

BROWNKO

Loc.
San Juan Capistrano
hi, I have a question about removing the transmission. I followed the basic steps and have now removed the front and rear driveshafts, and the crossmember brace. The transmission is currently raised slightly raised by my jack.

The next step seems to be to disconnect the rods from the transfer case/remove 'the bolt' that holds the shifter to the bracket.

The only 'bolt' i could see is a little 3/8" one. is this the one? I tried many times to remove it - but couldn't. i can't get a a decent angle on it to rotate it. I'm not really sure if this is the right bolt. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like you're working on a stock manual 3-speed then? Is it stock shifter still, or on the floor?
And the t-case shifter still needs removing? At leas that one is fairly basic. Just remove a clip from the cross-bar (T-shift version only) and one long pivot bolt through the housing. A J-shifter is a little more complex and I'll let someone who's done it recently chime in.

As for the manual shifter, a stock 3-on-the-tree is only going to need the clips pulled to remove the arms from the levers. But a floor shifter can be more finicky, and you would have to remove a reinforcing bracket from the back of the transfer case, and some other stuff. Again, someone with recent knowledge should be better help to you.

One BIG thing though. If you are removing the transfer case from the transmission, whether in or out of the vehicle, do NOT attempt it until you've locked the transmission levers into the 1st gear position.
To do this we used to fabricate a link bar to keep them locked into 1st gear, but you could probably do the same thing with some kind of a strap.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
B

BROWNKO

Loc.
San Juan Capistrano
thanks Paul. I did forget to mention a few things. Its a 'J' style shifter from my '75 Bronco that has a 3 on the tree manual trans, very likely the original transmission.

There is an 11/16th bolt and nut, that is accessible from inside the car, but when i try to turn it the stud rotates with it, and it looks like there is no other side to the stud. this stud/nut is directly beneath the actual tcase shifter.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
My 1973 is the J style. I mounted a split shifter on it (not in these pics). Maybe these pics will help. There is a large bolt all the way through the transmission case and then another that is screwed into a threaded hole. The one all the way through of course you must hold the head to unscrew the nut. Somewhere I have close ups of the other side, but haven't found them yet.

Trans1.jpg

Trans2.jpg

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I don't have the pics on this computer. Found one other, but still the passenger side. But should give you enough of an idea.

Trans31.jpg

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Found the pics of the driver's side. Yes, a 3/8" bolt into threaded hole on driver's side towards the back from the larger bolt. And yeah what the other poster said, if you don't put the trans into 1st gear when you slip out the transfer case I think some bearings will fall out of something to the bottom of the transmission. If you are rebuilding everything then that probably isn't a big deal I guess.

Shifter2.jpg

Shifter1.jpg

Last edited:

66BlueGoose

Contributor
Not the best picture but sample of a rod to lock the 3 speed into place. I just bent it up from aluminum rod, soft enough to bend by hand, strong enough to hold it it place. I bent it up(minus the bend in the front side), then inserted and bent the end over so it did not fall out inadvertently. First gear is the rear selector pushed toward the back of the transmission.

Attachments

• 662.jpg
    662.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
B

BROWNKO

Loc.
San Juan Capistrano
I definitely locked the shifter in 1st gear - I used a previous guys thread on here that suggested a 5/16" hooked end buckle. so that is fine here.

So, if I'm supposed to remove that 3/8" bolt - any suggestions on how to do this? its in a very awkward position. Should I remove it from under car or inside? is there certain socket or wrench size that works best?

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I removed mine too many years ago to remember the agony or what I did. I know I have lots of extensions and U-joints for my ratchet that usually does the trick. I have even taken a torch to a wrench at times and bent it into the shape that worked for me. Last night I was installing the Molidon strainer onto the oil pump and the top bolt, not one half inch wrench would fit and no way a socket would either. So I ground down a cheap box end wrench until it was thin enough to fit over the bolt head, between the strainer pipe and head. That is now yet another specialty wrench in my 'specials' drawer.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The J shifter transfer case. If you still have the stock shifter. Go underneath and remove the boot if its still there. Under that boot is a spring to the shifter. disconnect the spring. Now go up top and remove the shifter boot. At the shifter where it meets at the transfer case mount is a rounded cap nut. That cap is spring loaded push down and unscrew the cap. Once the cap is off you can pull the shifter up and out. watch out for the key pin for the shifter ball sometimes they are loose and fall out. you don't want to loose it. Once you get the shifter out then you can work on removing the transmission or separating the transfer case. You can leave the shift lever mount on the transfer case adapter. This is much easier than trying to remove the whole shift lever intact. Especially if you have no body lift.

OP
OP
B

BROWNKO

Loc.
San Juan Capistrano
I appreciate the info! yes, mine is a factory shifter I'm pretty sure. it has no lift on it as noted. i'll do as you suggest and remove the shifter from the rounded cap nut. thanks.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I always pull the tranny and TC together.
If they need to be separated I do it on the ground.

OP
OP
B

BROWNKO

Loc.
San Juan Capistrano
I cannot even imagine separating them while in the vehicle. how would you balance the tcase? I suppose if I inflated a big tire tube then the tcase could just flop down. i'll do as a previous thread posted, once the tcase/trans is out i'll tip it vertical and let the tcase fall away using my cherry picker.

OP
OP
B

BROWNKO

Loc.
San Juan Capistrano
some good news. i was able to remove the shifter assembly. now, the tcase, trans and adapter are ready to remove from engine. I have a transmission jack and it has corner brackets. I am a bit concerned that no matter how i use the corner brackets the tcase is going to rotate and fall off the jack. i've heard I should 'strap' it down to the jack. are there some key areaas to strap down? should i put the jack under the tcase or the trans or the adaptor? I notice the adapptor has two good holes to connect to - maybe i should run a cable through the holes and wrap around the jack head?

this is my first time, so any suggestions is appreciated.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Put the jack under the transmission and run ratchet straps over it to keep it on the jack. Tighten them up real well and it won't flop or wobble. I've done this tons of times, the tranny is the best balance point.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd have to agree with that. But in my case I will usually try to remove one at a time. It's always been easier for me (with a floor jack) to separate the t-case and intermediate housing from the transmission and take them out separately.
Just easier to keep control of for me.

And in the old days, when I was young and didn't mind 90 lbs of 303 sitting on my chest, I used to use the jack for the t-case, then do the trans by hand.
I'd lay on my back underneath, put a moving blanket on my chest and stomach (only to cushion, not really concerned about dropping it), reach up and pull the trans out and drop it down and roll over to lay the trans on the ground or a dolly.

Pretty easy actually. Much easier than hoisting it back up by hand!

paul